News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anyone know what these are?

Started by sirbergersworth, October 08, 2013, 02:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirbergersworth

I was on JD's website the other day and noticed he had a new layout and kit for the D-Verb.
I have been wanting to build one of these for a while and so I ordered the kit. I usually just buy pcb's and source my own components but I just felt like building this soon and this would be the fastest way. Anuff back story. These little guys were in the kit and I cannot identify them.
Any idea? They both measure about 0.01 ohms.

Sent using Tapatalk
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand, says, "Don't you see?"
-Robert Hunter

icecycle66

sirbergersworth

Quote from: icecycle66 on October 08, 2013, 02:19:12 AM
They're just fancy jumpers.

That's just silly.
Now I feel very green. lol

Sent using Tapatalk
-Robert Hunter

juansolo

Yup zero ohm 'resistors'. Or, as he says, jumpers ;)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jkokura

That's why you get the 0.01 ohm reading... it's not actually resisting more than actual copper would resist. If you measure a length of resistor lead you'd probably get the same reading.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

sirbergersworth

Quote from: jkokura on October 08, 2013, 03:48:49 PM
That's why you get the 0.01 ohm reading... it's not actually resisting more than actual copper would resist. If you measure a length of resistor lead you'd probably get the same reading.

Jacob

Funny thing is that there are traces connecting the thru holes where the jumper would go. Strange. I don't think I am gonna put them in, or should I? JD doesn't have jumpers on the pic of his build in the documents.

Btw, I got it all components minus the brick installed last night. I am painting the enclosure now.
Sometimes I feel lame buying kits but I have no problem supporting JD sometimes by putting some money in his pocket!

I hope I have no issues cause once I solder in the brick, almost all solder will be covered. I have done a check with magnifying glass and a jewelers screwdriver to make sure all the close pads are free.

Sent using Tapatalk
-Robert Hunter

jkokura

Sorry, am I just having a brain fart and wondering who you mean when you say 'JD' and what website/project are you talking about? Should I know this, or do I and I'm just not thinking?

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

crashguitar

I think he is referring to JD Sleep at General Guitar Gadgets.

sirbergersworth

Quote from: jkokura on October 08, 2013, 04:39:40 PM
Sorry, am I just having a brain fart and wondering who you mean when you say 'JD' and what website/project are you talking about? Should I know this, or do I and I'm just not thinking?

Jacob

JD Sleep @ General Guitar Gadgets.
The pedal is his DVerb. Same as a Hermida Reverb.
New layout.

Sent using Tapatalk
-Robert Hunter

RobA

Quote from: sirbergersworth on October 08, 2013, 04:21:35 PM
[...]
Funny thing is that there are traces connecting the thru holes where the jumper would go. Strange. I don't think I am gonna put them in, or should I? JD doesn't have jumpers on the pic of his build in the documents.
In the parts layout doc, it shows three jumpers that look like they need to be connected to me.
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_verb_lo.pdf?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a
Are these the jumpers you are considering leaving off?
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

sirbergersworth

Quote from: RobA on October 08, 2013, 06:22:24 PM
Quote from: sirbergersworth on October 08, 2013, 04:21:35 PM
[...]
In the parts layout doc, it shows three jumpers that look like they need to be connected to me.
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_verb_lo.pdf?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a
Are these the jumpers you are considering leaving off?

Yes.
On the board you can see a trace between the thru holes.
And, he only sent me two jumpers.
And his pic from his build instructions doesn't have jumpers.

I am gonna put jumpers in to be safe. I am just going to jumper them with a cut off lead. I am not using the 0 ohm resistor.

Sent using Tapatalk
-Robert Hunter

DutchMF

Did you consider measuring conductance between these pads with a DMM? Might save you some soldering/board clutter/frustration.... Or drop JD an email, and see what his response is.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

RobA

Quote from: DutchMF on October 08, 2013, 06:59:46 PM
Did you consider measuring conductance between these pads with a DMM? Might save you some soldering/board clutter/frustration.... Or drop JD an email, and see what his response is.

Paul
I'd agree. If your DMM has a continuity setting, just test it. It looks like the board may have been moved to being double sided by putting in the jumpers as traces. It probably wouldn't hurt to have the extra paths, but it looks like a couple of those connect ground sections.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

sirbergersworth

I did measure across them and there is continuity.
I did also send JD an email. Haven't heard back yet. 

Sent using Tapatalk
-Robert Hunter

jkokura

Yeah, I would guess you need no jumpers there. It looks like the layout was originally designed for single sided use, and it's been transformed into a double sided and those pads are now connected on the top layer.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*