News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Eliminate 9V Battery?

Started by dfine22, February 19, 2011, 08:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfine22

Hello, Newbie to pedal building.  I will be building a new firebomb and would like to eliminate the battery source.  Will the jack serve as a ground as I have noticed that w/out the battery clip there is no ground going to the jack?  Thanks

rowland1

Hi, I think I may be able to help. I often leave off the 9V battery snap.

Check out this wiring diagram: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=707.0;attach=214;image

The black wire is the neg- lead from the 9V battery going to ground on the Ring of the stereo input jack. But the Brown wire is also grounded on the sleeve of that jack. When you plug in a mono guitar 1/4" plug you connect the ring to the sleeve and the battery lead (ring) is connected to ground (sleeve). When you pull the plug - the battery is "ungrounded" and that saves battery life.

So if you leave off the battery snap your power source and circuit are still graounded to the sleeve of the jack via the brown wires shown.

Does that help?

EndlessOcean

sorry to resurrect this, but are you essentially saying that you don't need to anything because the jack is already grounded? So you can leave the battery snap out of the equation without ill effect provided the jack is grounded (which it is via the brown wire in the diagram)?

irmcdermott

Quote from: EndlessOcean on February 25, 2011, 01:21:56 PM
sorry to resurrect this, but are you essentially saying that you don't need to anything because the jack is already grounded? So you can leave the battery snap out of the equation without ill effect provided the jack is grounded (which it is via the brown wire in the diagram)?

correct

bigmufffuzzwizz

what a simple solution. now i know!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals