News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Several FATpants Builds

Started by Beerdog80, February 20, 2011, 05:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

These look as good as any commercial pedal out there. Nicely done!

bigmufffuzzwizz

Is the trimpot you used from tayda??
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Beerdog80

Beerdog80

Quote from: madbean on February 25, 2011, 04:03:40 AM
These look as good as any commercial pedal out there. Nicely done!

Thanks bro! I ordered a couple of sunkings from you the other day.  That will be my next MADBEAN project!

jcuempire

Fantastic work.  Unbelievable

Beerdog80

Quote from: jcuempire on February 26, 2011, 05:27:31 AM
Fantastic work.  Unbelievable

Thanks.  Another I did up the other day.  Obviously got the visual que from Fastocker's build a few months back. 

I made this a 'test' enclosure to test the color mix I made on a unfinished (mostly) enclosure.  Worked out pretty good. I hate painting on unfinished enclosures.  Always shows the imperfections of the surface below the paint.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: Beerdog80 on February 26, 2011, 06:04:39 AM
I hate painting on unfinished enclosures.  Always shows the imperfections of the surface below the paint.

Have you tried doing a wet sand before painting them? I use 400 grit and then move to 2000 grit and i end up with a super smooth enclosure. sometimes i don't even wanna paint it afterwards!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Beerdog80

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on February 26, 2011, 07:05:05 AM
Quote from: Beerdog80 on February 26, 2011, 06:04:39 AM
I hate painting on unfinished enclosures.  Always shows the imperfections of the surface below the paint.

Have you tried doing a wet sand before painting them? I use 400 grit and then move to 2000 grit and i end up with a super smooth enclosure. sometimes i don't even wanna paint it afterwards!

Of course.  This one was blocked sanded with 200, 400, 600, 800 and 1000.  2000 grit is actually too much except for finial finishing.  You have to leave something for the paint to stick to.  After sanding, I hit it with scotch brite medium pads to give it a little more 'bite'.

Problem isn't so much the finish on the enclosures but how some have such large pits and casting marks that painting is ok but if you put a decal or graphic on it, it leaves a nice, large space for air to collect.  Not a good thing for a graphic.  To correct that, you would have to poly fill, THEN sand to smooth the surface but it's far easier just to buy a polished enclosure.

The one above was wet sanded after the final clear with 1500 and 2000, then buffed to a mirror shine.  If you look closely at the top left pot hole, you can see a pit that I would have had to fill if I wanted a perfect surface....but since this was a test template of sorts, didn't care.  :)

jkokura

If you start lower, with an 80 or 100 grit you can get it smoother. I use an orbital sander for that low and it gets stuff down past the surface irregularities.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Beerdog80

Quote from: jkokura on February 26, 2011, 08:39:56 AM
If you start lower, with an 80 or 100 grit you can get it smoother. I use an orbital sander for that low and it gets stuff down past the surface irregularities.

Jacob

True, but then I'd have to pull out the DA and turn on the air compressor.  Still cheaper and easier to buy a polished enclosure.  Saves a massive amount of time so I can get stuff in and out quickly.

jkokura

Oh no doubt, for the average person, it's a good method I'd say.

jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Beerdog80

Ok...final enclosure for this project.  :)  I can't wait to get this one done and a picture out in the sun. 

k.rock!

God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

sgmezei

Hey man those things look wicked!! what mods did you do on the 3 knob version with the switch? I have built one and am wondering if I should change it.

Also, do you use a primer on the enclosures before you paint them? or do you just sand them and apply multiple coats?

Thanks, and again, they look AWESOME.

small fish

Thumbs up! They´re perfect!

Any chance to get a detailed "paint report"?

Guitars are made of trees! Paper is made of trees!
Recycle your paper, so there are more trees left - to make guitars!