News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kraken won't kwak

Started by G.G., October 15, 2013, 07:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.G.

Hi guys,
I'm having some trouble with my Kraken build. When I switch the effect on it passes signal but doesn't "wah." The sound is sort of muffled, and I hear a difference in EQ when I flip the DPDT, which makes me wonder if it's working but the envelope part is not functioning correctly? I went through all the components and confirmed values, orientations, etc. I used BAT41s in D1 & D2, and I have a CA3080E and an LM1458N, would any of those be likely culprits?

thanks for the help!
Gray

G.G.

I was messing around with this a bit more today. I switched out the BAT41s for 1N914s but still no luck. I pulled the LM1548 out to see if I had it seated incorrectly and noticed when I re-inserted it the envelope opened for a split-second then closed. So it is kind of working but something is preventing the envelope from functioning properly. Also fried the IC in the process of messing around with it (flipped the orientation just to see: bad idea). :-/

Thomas_H

Q2 looks like the wrong way round.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

G.G.

yeah, I did that based on Brian's post in the errata section about it needing to be flipped on the fabbed and single sided layouts:

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=10208.0

jimilee

Checked all you polarities and solder joints? What are your voltages like? Once you flip an IC around don't you usually need to replace it?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Scruffie

Quote from: jimilee on October 16, 2013, 08:39:44 PM
What are your voltages like?
Best way you can help us get this working.
Works at Lectric-FX

G.G.

Quote from: Scruffie on October 16, 2013, 10:23:42 PM
Quote from: jimilee on October 16, 2013, 08:39:44 PM
What are your voltages like?
Best way you can help us get this working.
cool. I'll have to get a new IC and hook it up.

LaceSensor

if you got the 1458 from tayda chances are its out of spec
I tried four of theirs in another envlope pedal and it didnt work

something like an 5532 would be a good shout.

G.G.

that's where I got mine! Good tip, I'll try swapping in something similar while I find a different source.  Thanks!

Scruffie

Quote from: LaceSensor on October 17, 2013, 06:11:55 PM

5532s aren't very good for envelope detection IME they're not quite as general purpose as other OpAmps.

4558, TL022, LM358 are probably better candidates and lower noise than the 1458. You may have to try a few candidates to see what works.
Works at Lectric-FX

calciferspit

Quote from: LaceSensor on October 17, 2013, 06:11:55 PM

thanks for the head's up. I was just about to order parts for a Kraken from tayda, I'll get my 1458 elsewhere.

Scruffie

I'm not denying the Tayda 1458s aren't working, but I find it very odd they're 'out of spec' a 1458 is probably one of the simplest and poorest performing OpAmps there is, near enough a dual 741 and easy to produce. I wonder if they're (not Tayda but the through hole components market) re-branding something like a 4558 as no one feels the needs to make DIP 1458s any more... or if it's out of spec in that it's improved production has removed the quirks we desire.

Is there a brand mark on the chip from Tayda? Maybe the company altered it.
Works at Lectric-FX

G.G.

well, I tried out a 4558 today and it works.  :o My 1458 IC, which I think I got from Tayda, has a little National Semiconductor logo on it. I ordered a couple replacements from Tayda before this thread started so I'll try those out when they get here and if they don't work maybe I'll look at sourcing them somewhere else. Thanks for the help and advice guys!

G.G.

well, the first IC I used must have just been a bad one. I tried out the new 1458s I got from Tayda and they work fine. Anyway, just thought I would update in case someone else might be dealing with a similar issue.

John S

I'm having a similar issue. I get signal when turned on. I get the eq change when I flip the hi/lo switch. I don't get any envelope opening and closing and the pots don't do anything when I turn them. I tried 3 1458 chips, 2 4558 chips, and even a 5532. They all do the same thing. help please. I am a newbie. Thanks
Schenkenstein custom effects. Check out the page on Facebook.