News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Graphics on a dark purple candy enclosere :(

Started by Gledison, October 24, 2013, 07:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gledison

Hey guys.
after hours of work, finishing the graphics for my Sea urchin, it came out that the black graphics I made doesn't show clearly on the purple enclosure..
I know there is no white toner (at least easily available) but anyone have a suggestion in how to print a decal that will show more clearly?
thanks a lot ...
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

Vallhagen

Take a look at my workaround here:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=10779.0

The light parts is handpainted with a Molotow-pen (Posca works the same).

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

jimilee

White waterslide works great for dark graphics on a dark enclosure.. Looks just like sticker paper.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Gledison

Quote from: Vallhagen on October 24, 2013, 07:42:50 PM
Take a look at my workaround here:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=10779.0

The light parts is handpainted with a Molotow-pen (Posca works the same).

Cheers
hey, I remember your pedal. looks very nice!
but to do a handwriting thing, I will need to drink a couple of beers first...ehehhe
thanks mate

Gledison

Quote from: jimilee on October 24, 2013, 08:51:32 PM
White waterslide works great for dark graphics on a dark enclosure.. Looks just like sticker paper.
hey Jimi lee.
im aware of that, the problem is that I need to match the background collor in order to don't appear around the graphics . the collor of the enclosure is the coolest thing and I don't want to cover it with a white backgoround..
thanks for the tip.

das234

Depending on your graphic (if it's not TOO complicated or detailed) you could print it on plain paper, carefully cut out around the graphic and use that as a stencil to spray a white background wherever your graphic will be without spraying the whole enclosure.  Does that make sense? 

davent

Something like Bengt has done, airbrushed white (then misted green) through a stencil where the decals were to go on a black enclosure.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Gledison

Quote from: das234 on October 24, 2013, 09:51:57 PM
Depending on your graphic (if it's not TOO complicated or detailed) you could print it on plain paper, carefully cut out around the graphic and use that as a stencil to spray a white background wherever your graphic will be without spraying the whole enclosure.  Does that make sense?
yes it makes sense. but my graphics have small and thin areas. it will be impossible to cut it.
I will try a silkscreen method. I have an UV curable paint that I use for solder mask and will paint a screen and cover with a transparency having my design. will let under the sun and see how it goes...
thanks for helping.

Gledison

Quote from: davent on October 24, 2013, 10:02:57 PM
Something like Bengt has done, airbrushed white (then misted green) through a stencil where the decals were to go on a black enclosure.

dave
cool Dave. but I think I didn't get it how I've done. how did you control the green brush around the letters?

das234

YES, that's what I'm envisioning in my mind!  Spray just enough background so your black writing will show.  It doesn't have to exactly match the decal.  If you're good with an airbrush you can get something slick like the picture that just blends right in.  (I'm not that good.)

davent

Hello, First I took a printout of the decals, hand-drew a slightly offset outline around the decal lettering. Then i cut out the window using the outline i drew as a guide, cutting with an xacto knife/scapel so know i have a stencil. Stick the stencil to the enclosure and paint, first i used white then a very light mist coat with green. For stencils i use a material called frisket film which is very low-tack transluscent plastic film made for this very thing. If i want a nice clean hard edge i'll clearcoat the window area first so the edges are sealed and none of the coloured paint can seep under the stencil and screw-up the hard edge. I'm a total hack with an airbrush, frisket film, tape, liquid frisket and xacto knives to the rescue. I was trying to do a fade for the windows and after a couple attempts it became apparent it was beyond me... practice, practice and more...

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jimilee

Quote from: Gledison on October 24, 2013, 09:00:00 PM
Quote from: jimilee on October 24, 2013, 08:51:32 PM
hey Jimi lee.
im aware of that, the problem is that I need to match the background collor in order to don't appear around the graphics . the collor of the enclosure is the coolest thing and I don't want to cover it with a white backgoround..
thanks for the tip.
Right, this requires you to make the background the same color as your pedal. You can probably find a color sample where you got the pedal. II had tp do this for a paint that I used previously.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Gledison

What about printing in Yellow collor? Or printing first in Black, than yellow over it? The prob would be how to adjust the paper to print twice exactly in the same point...:S

jimilee

Quote from: Gledison on October 25, 2013, 11:51:57 AM
What about printing in Yellow collor? Or printing first in Black, than yellow over it? The prob would be how to adjust the paper to print twice exactly in the same point...:S
photoshop layers

Fastocker

If you happen to have a laminator, you can try the Pulsar DecalPro system.  I've gotten nice results using the DecalPro stuff . . . but you need a laminator and there's a bit of a learning curve with the system.  Here's some stuff I did with the Pulsar system:

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=6324.0
Owner of Unique-Vibe, LLC
www.facebook.com/uniquevibe