News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What do you guys do...

Started by croquet hoop, October 29, 2013, 07:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croquet hoop

... when everything goes FUBAR?

It started with a batch of slightly off-spec boards from OSH Park. Rows of holes were drilled too small, so the pin headers that were meant to fit in do not (they did on a previous batch with the same specs). So I'll have to spend time fixing something designed to save time. Great  8)

Then I had to debug a big muff build, so I built a small signal generator on perf, but the thing would only emit an audible signal when I touched it (just about anywhere, in no precise spot — it was quite tolerant in its own way). After an hour or so I got it to work as expected, and given the time spent on such a trivial build I should have known better and stopped there, but nevertheless I figured I'd add it inside my test rig with a SPDT to switch between guitar input and signal generator and then add an audio probe (which is the only thing I should have cared about). I won't describe what happened exactly during the following three hours, because I don't really want to re-live the thing, but I ended up with a less functional testing rig, an infuriated mind — and of course no debugged big muff.

Now I've put away everything and cooled down, and I'm a bit sorry for the rant but it felt good to write this. Do this kind of crap often happen to you? I mean, I've stumbled here and there while making my first fews builds, and it was perfectly expected, but come on — four hours (with a few pauses) on something that simple, for this  kind of results... pretty depressing.

jkokura

Yeah, I usually just take a break. Maybe go rant for a bit to myself. Watch an episode of some TV show like "how it's made" and let my subconscious work on it for a while. I pray too, which often ends up with a calmer Jacob.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

DutchMF

There are a number of options, but all of them involve leaving the project in case alone for a couple of hours/days.... here are some that work for me:
-have a smoke (no seriously, just a cigarette), coffee is optional, but preferred
-have a nice long walk outside. This really helps to de-clutter your head
-harass the cat. It leaves you with scratches, but so much fun!
-have a couple of beers. After this, go to sleep and take a new, fresh look tomorrow
-actually play guitar for some time

Of course, plenty more options, but you get my point, no? Leave it alone for some time, it will come.... ;)

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

croquet hoop

Yeah, I really should have stopped earlier and done one of these. Point taken. Lesson learned. Thanks guys for the suggestions!

GermanCdn

Walking away from a debug that's going nowhere is usually the best solution.  Put it in the BOF and come back to it in a day, week, month, whatever.  It's amazing how much quicker you find the problem when you've been away from it for a while, and it prevent those rash moves made it quasi frustration that generally end in a dead board.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jkokura

Quote from: GermanCdn on October 29, 2013, 08:25:22 PM
BOF

BOF = Box of Fail.

While I don't recommend considering the board 'failed,' I do have a box for 'I'm going to get back to this PCB.' I do have a box of 'this will never work,' but that is another discussion.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

croquet hoop

In this case, the irony was that what gave me the run-around was something meant to facilitate debugging another build ;D

So there's no way this is going (permanently) into a BOF. I'll let it rest for a few days and work on something different, then come back to it with a fresh mind.

GermanCdn

Quote from: jkokura on October 29, 2013, 09:03:02 PM
BOF

BOF = Box of Fail.

While I don't recommend considering the board 'failed,' I do have a box for 'I'm going to get back to this PCB.' I do have a box of 'this will never work,' but that is another discussion.

Jacob

Sorry, should have differentiated.  Also, my BOF is the fix later box as well.  The circuits that are never going to work get their pots and ICs scavenged, then hit the garbage can.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

ch1naski

I've gotten so crazy about trying to make something work, while not in the right state of mind, or mood, or whatever, that I've smashed it in a childish fit. I'm getting better at realizing when it's just not right to continue, but I still feel defeated when I put the iron down and say "walk away for now".

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

one louder.

pickdropper

Quote from: GermanCdn on October 29, 2013, 10:10:27 PM
Quote from: jkokura on October 29, 2013, 09:03:02 PM
BOF

BOF = Box of Fail.

Jacob

Sorry, should have differentiated.  Also, my BOF is the fix later box as well.  The circuits that are never going to work get their pots and ICs scavenged, then hit the garbage can.

Maybe BOF should now be referred to as "Box of Fix."
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

PhiloB

I like the term 'Box of Fix'.  Also like 'Childish Fit' and throwing things in the trash.  I think there are appropriate circumstances for all:)

jimilee

I hav emelted a few projects down while trying to make them work, and also sometimes I'll just sell it to someone who can fix it. I built 1 retrograde perfectly. me;ted a second one down and sold a third one, it is my unicorn. I recently bought another pcb and will build it again. I think it was bad diodes both other times. I will make it work, oh yes.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

rullywowr

Sometimes, things just don't go your way.  You have to take a step back from the whole thing and just move onto something else for a short while.  My BOF is quite large and I like to keep the fails around as a reminder of what happened.  Sometimes it is a crappy etch, or a bad design on a fabbed board because I screwed up in the PCB CAD.

Regardless, even if it doesn't feel like it right now, you learn from your mishaps.  You are more likely to not make the same mistake again on the next build and each build, pcb design, or project is better than the last.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

chromesphere

I find sometimes I get strings of issues when my head isn't in the right space.  If I'm stressed, or have a headache, I become my own worst enemy, creating problems as I go. 

I think its a bit of talent to be able to recognise when your in this sort of destructive spiral and to have the patience to be able to walk away from, even if its just for a few mins to relax.  Becoming stressed about a problem, creates more stress and creates more problems.  Having a break tends to help me anyway.

And sometimes, sh!@ just happens! :D
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

alanp

I still haven't figured out what to do with terminally useless boards. My inner scrooge hates throwing away anything not trash.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website