News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

11.01 - Function F(x) Fundraiser Announcement

Started by madbean, November 01, 2013, 06:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

At first I was thinking that I didn't really need any of these, then I thought about how many boards I've etched for free because the Bean has been so generous in sharing his designs. Even if I never build them (which I will of course) I still need to support this as a show of appreciation. Thanks Brian for all you've given to us.

culturejam

Quote from: Clayford on November 04, 2013, 10:24:51 AM
Quote from: DutchMF on November 04, 2013, 09:48:33 AM
Thanks, that is the one I couldn't find....  :D I must say, I forgot I saw the SMD part somewhere..... Well, I'll buy them anyway, and order a magnifying glass somewhere.......

Paul

Only one has SMD - and I've seen a few folks using usb microscopes for doing them. Time to order that fine point conical tip!

I did the Fuzz Face side of the fundraiser board without a magnifier or microscope. I didn't even use a flux pen. Just a fine tip and a very conservative application of solder.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

DutchMF

Quote from: culturejam on November 04, 2013, 12:39:40 PM
Thanks, that is the one I couldn't find....  :D I must say, I forgot I saw the SMD part somewhere..... Well, I'll buy them anyway, and order a magnifying glass somewhere.......

Paul

Only one has SMD - and I've seen a few folks using usb microscopes for doing them. Time to order that fine point conical tip!

I did the Fuzz Face side of the fundraiser board without a magnifier or microscope. I didn't even use a flux pen. Just a fine tip and a very conservative application of solder.

I'm really not intimidated by SMD, no, really, I'm not....... OK, I AM!  ::) It's just that I was really kinda proud of mastering this soldering stuff in the first place. I still remember when my first boards and parts came in I thought "DAMN! This stuff is really, REALLY SMALL!!!" And that was through-hole.... Anyway, I'll give it a shot, no worries. It's just that I've got big clumsy hands and my eye-sight is not what it used to be......

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

GermanCdn

Like there was ever any question, but I'm in.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

soldersqueeze

I can see there being a lot of demand for these boards, as well as the built pedals which will follow. This is getting exciting now :)

rullywowr

Quote from: billstein on November 04, 2013, 10:33:40 AM
At first I was thinking that I didn't really need any of these, then I thought about how many boards I've etched for free because the Bean has been so generous in sharing his designs. Even if I never build them (which I will of course) I still need to support this as a show of appreciation. Thanks Brian for all you've given to us.
I am in the same boat. I would love to support this as well as it's some bucks that way as a "thank you" for all the awesome knowledge I have gained since joining.

If some early BOMs could be provided that would be a bonus!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

ch1naski

SMD? better order a smaller iron tip....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

one louder.

pickdropper

Quote from: DutchMF on November 04, 2013, 01:42:03 PM
Quote from: culturejam on November 04, 2013, 12:39:40 PM

Paul

I'm really not intimidated by SMD, no, really, I'm not....... OK, I AM!  ::) It's just that I was really kinda proud of mastering this soldering stuff in the first place. I still remember when my first boards and parts came in I thought "DAMN! This stuff is really, REALLY SMALL!!!" And that was through-hole.... Anyway, I'll give it a shot, no worries. It's just that I've got big clumsy hands and my eye-sight is not what it used to be......

Paul

Part of the reason that we thought this would be a good entry for many into SMT is that one can start by populating only the Fuzz Face, testing it and then with a bit more comfort, populate the ToneBender side (or not if you don't want to).  It's a small parts count fuzz, so there's less to do before finding out of it works.

Now, I HIGHLY recommend a flux pen and tweezers.  I will provide Mouser links to those so people can be sure they get the right ones.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Somebody should create mouser boms to make it easier for those of us who are less motivated to do so. ;-)
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pickdropper

Quote from: jimilee on November 04, 2013, 08:40:22 PM
Somebody should create mouser boms to make it easier for those of us who are less motivated to do so. ;-)

I'm only handling the board I did, but I guarantee you a BOM with Mouser part numbers listed on it will be made available.  I realize that ordering SMT parts is a bit different due to all the package sizes, so I want to make it easier for those who may not have done it in the past.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Quote from: pickdropper on November 04, 2013, 08:49:45 PM

I'm only handling the board I did, but I guarantee you a BOM with Mouser part numbers listed on it will be made available.  I realize that ordering SMT parts is a bit different due to all the package sizes, so I want to make it easier for those who may not have done it in the past.
that sounds great. I was just kidding, but I've never done smt so that'd be helpful for those like me as well! Thank you sir.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

rullywowr

SMD isn't really that bad, and you don't need a super fine tip. Having a flux pen (or flux syringe), tweezers, and #2 soldering braid is essential for SMD however. I prefer curved tweezers myself.

culturejam

Quote from: pickdropper on November 04, 2013, 08:49:45 PM

I think we can do a consolidated Mouser BOM for all three boards. However, there may be a few parts that Mouser does not stock (or not cheaply). The DuoVibe uses two LDRs, for example, and those are not usually stocked by Mouser (but cheap and available from Tayda).
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

rullywowr

I think that it would be cool to get a group buy on any "exotic" parts (LDRs, strange SMD caps, vactrols, weird chips) however if you think you may be getting into SMD (even a little) you should pony up and buy a cheap resistor/capacitor kit.  The two most common resistor sizes for pedals are 0603 and 0805, you can find packs on eBay for under $10.  Keep in mind (especially if you are new to SMD) that you will lose some of these components.  If you drop them on the floor you can pretty much kiss it goodbye!

Working over a magnet is good, or as I like to do - is have a small box with a thin magnet sheet in the bottom where you can source your parts.

Another tip I would share for SMD is to grab some of these storage boxes off eBay.  Just search "SMD Storage" and they will pop up.  They are spring loaded and open with one hand.  Plus they interlock so you can rearrange them as your collection grows.  Of course they come in different colors which is cool for different types of components, and if you are going to store SMD ICs in there they even make a black ESD safe version.  If you buy 100qty at a time they are about 25c each.