News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nautilus build and some issues.

Started by koky, November 03, 2013, 12:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

koky

I have build this pedal (etched) but there is no sound from it. Checked all the joints for bridges, audio probed  and etc. Read almost every topic about it and here are the problems I have:
1. When I plug my test rig all the LEDs light up - Vol trim counter clockwise, Gain - doesn`t matter coz there is no sound I guess , Peak - same as Gain , Sweep - witch I made external pot dims and brightens the LEDs. For HP/BP/LP I used DPDT toggle wired like this http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=6759.0 ,
HI/LO seems to be doing nothing and RANGE dims or brightens LEDs (witch are always ON)

2. IC1 voltages -              IC2 -                                IC5 -                      LED -           LED/LDR (not VACT) -
1. 1.77   14. 5.48         1. 5.57   14. 1.81            1. 6.23   8. 6.26      3.17 - 1.33       (looking from above on
2. 3.60   13. 4.61         2. 5.57   13. 1.30            2. 1.00   7. 2.63                              the single sided art -
3. 5.52   12. 0.01         3. 0.01   12. 1.26            3. 0.02   6. 1.85                             Left     4.63   3.53
4. 6.26   11. 0.35         4. 6.19   11. 0.34            4. 1.00   5. 0.34                                        1.77   0.87
5. 1.20   10. 0.01         5. 0.01   10. 1.35                                                                Right     0.87   5.50
6. 4.92     9. 4.63         6. 5.50     9. 1.28                                                                             3.53   4.63
7. 1.78     8. 5.58         7. 5.55     8. 3.53

D1 1.36 - 1.81           D2  1.81 - 1.30                D3 6.21 - 0.02

3. TC1044SCPA is going extremely HOT along with C14
4. Something strange - if I push pin 11  IC2 with screwdriver  :-X LEDs behave like that: No light on pos 1 and Light on pos 2 on RANGE switch.

Any ideas?
"When you want something in life, you just gotta reach out and grab it." - Christopher McCandless

koky

Hence the jumper between R3 & R4. I have missing trace
GAIN wire snapped just before I took this pic  :'(
There are some jumpers because of missing traces.
"When you want something in life, you just gotta reach out and grab it." - Christopher McCandless

alanp

Maybe a stupid question, but are the LED's and LDR's in line correctly with their respective partner when you tested? Also, ambient light will affect the LDR's performance. (Good reason to use vactrols, although the good part of led/ldr is that you can SEE when something happens.)

Also, if C14 along with the TC1044 is getting blimmin' hot, then you've most likely got a short (or close to) somewhere, either a solder bridge or a component that has shat the bed.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

koky

LED/LDR are not in line because of the picture. When I tested they were.

Checking the continuity of C14 there is such between two legs of the capacitor. And C14 + leg is connected to ground isn`t it? Or I am wrong and have put it backwards?

koky

Problem with hot C14 solved - there was a bridge somewhere between trace connecting C14 and pin 5 (Vcc+ Am I right) of IC1 to ground.
I probed again (first time I did it WRONG) and the signal stops after pin6 IC1. Have changed 4 chips with no success. 

koky

Am I asking wrong questions or there is something wrong with me?

jkokura

No, nothing wrong with you. I don't know about whether you are asking the wrong questions, but it looks like you've been given at least a couple suggestions.

Sometimes it just takes time. Also, generally people help with builds they are familiar with, and the Natuilus is not one everyone is familiar with.

Looks to me like you've found an issue - if the signal stops after pin6 of IC1, and it's supposed to continue after there, there's a problem with the parts that all meet up with pin 6 of IC1.

IC1_B forms the input buffer. Basically, if you're not getting sound after that you won't get anything working. If you don't have sound at Pin7, then there's a couple potential problems:
1. The IC isn't getting power, or is installed incorrectly so the sound doesn't get amplified out the other end.
2. Something that connects with pin 7 may be shorted to ground, so your signal never goes past pin 7.

Looking at your voltages I can tell there was an issue with your power inverter. You need to see if your TC1044 is either installed correctly or not blown because of the heat caused by the malfunction with C14.

Best at this point is to take a voltage reading on the ICs, particularly on IC1 and the charge pump.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

koky

Thank You for your answer!
Edited voltages in the first post.

jkokura

Your voltages aren't close to what I'd expect.

You should have +9V on pins 4 of both IC1 and 2, and -9V on pins 11 on IC 1 and 2. On IC5 you should be getting +9V on pins 1 and 8, and -9V on pin 5.

I would suspect your IC5 isn't working correctly.

jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

koky

I just read datasheet for TC1044 and realized it is voltage invertor. Guess I need new one.

Mike B.

Yeah, you have to be careful with shorts and solder bridges on the output of those charge pumps. If I remember correctly, the TC1044 has a max output current in the 20mA range, and a short at the output will definitely cause the chip to *attempt* to exceed that. More than a second or two in that state and it's bye-bye TC1044.