News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

VIPfx - T-Wrex II

Started by Chi_Boy, November 10, 2013, 01:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chi_Boy

So I finally managed to get this thing done.  For a change I've actually been playing guitar more than working on pedals and just haven't had time.  But now it's done, and it's cool.

I saw some posts by Juansolo and Marauder who both had the idea to run the T-Wrex at 18 volts.  Of course I had to try it.  More importantly though, they changed the boost to a SHO type boost and ran it after the distortion instead of before.  Now the boost is just that, a nice clean volume boost of the signal that's already there.  The boost is so much better this way.

So thanks to both Juansolo and Marauder for the great idea.

pickdropper

That's a really nice build.  Nice, clean board layout, too.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jubal81

Top notch! Clean & classy. The more I see those 'kidney beans' the more I realize I need to finally stock up on 'em.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Chi_Boy

Quote from: jubal81 on November 10, 2013, 02:01:34 PM
Top notch! Clean & classy. The more I see those 'kidney beans' the more I realize I need to finally stock up on 'em.

Good luck finding them.  They've gone off to electronics heaven.  I found some on eBay, but they are a mix of ECQ-B and ECQ-V.

The nice thing is that since they are bigger than box caps, the box caps fit with room to spare.

juansolo

The mods are well worth it. Superb work!  8)

If you're in the UK CPC/Farnell stock most of the Panasonics. Odd values you still have to get on eBay though.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

pickdropper

Quote from: juansolo on November 10, 2013, 02:53:03 PM
The mods are well worth it. Superb work!  8)

If you're in the UK CPC/Farnell stock most of the Panasonics. Odd values you still have to get on eBay though.

You can get 10n and up at Mouser.  They are ECQ-V.

There was talk of a group buy a while back, but not enough people were interested.  I'm not offering to do one now, but I'd be interested if somebody else wanted to jump on it.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

rullywowr

Nice layout and build. Looks awesome.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Thomas_H

I see you reworked the board.

Thats an overall good looking and functional design (This includes the enclosure).

DIY-PCBs and projects:

soldersqueeze

Looks so good I'm tempted to build one to replace my V1 build! These things sound awesome, great work.

rullywowr

Just curious how you did the white on black labeling?  Silkscreen?  Pedal parts plus?

Chi_Boy

Quote from: rullywowr on November 11, 2013, 06:20:40 PM
Just curious how you did the white on black labeling?  Silkscreen?  Pedal parts plus?

Pulsar Pro.  I'm starting to get the hang of it now.  Was tough at first; product has a learning curve of sorts.

This one is black wrinkle powder with clear lacquer on top.   The lacquer gives a yellow tint to the white text though.  I've been having PPP powder coat everything lately, but I'm considering going back to enamels so I can have a clear that is actually clear.

rullywowr

Thanks for the info about the silkscreen.  I'm continually impressed with the added features you put in there such as switchable 18v/9v operation inside...that is very slick.

How does it sound on 18v versus 9v?  More headroom?  Gain?