News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mod a VP Jr.'s outputs from parallel to series?...

Started by pauloman80, February 24, 2011, 02:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauloman80

This might fall under the "duh" category, but before I go changing my stuff I like to check with my fellow enthusiasts.  I'm wanting to switch to a different tuner for my board and would need to use the tuner out on my VP Jr. (I like having the tuner on all the time and go silent using the volume pedal).  However, I keep reading and hearing from other players that using both the tuner- and amp-outs on the VP Jr. causes one's tone to fall victim to tone suckage.  I don't like tone suckage.  :P

According to the doods over at JHS Pedals, the tone suckage comes from the signal path being parallel.  I'm trying to keep some real estate open on my pedal board as I've been changing/adding other things on my rig as a whole.  I'd rather not put my Morley A/B/Y box back on the board, it's just too big for my current setup.  Would it work to wire both the tuner- and amp-outs directly from the input jack rather than input jack > tuner out > amp out?  Thanks, gents. (and ladies, if we have any builders of the female persuasion)
--------------------------------------------------
Regards,
pauloman80

jkokura

The VP tone suckage comes from a misunderstanding of how it works. Yes the outputs are parallel, but that's the only way it works to have a tuner out. You can't do a series output. So your question is confusing, because it's already wired the way you're suggesting, both outputs connect to the input.

What kind of tuner are you using? If it's buffered then you don't have a problem. Is there a buffer before the VP? Then you don't have a problem. Do you experience any tone suck? If. It, then you don't have a problem.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

B_of_H

If you put a buffer before the VP it really solves any issue that I can find with 'tone suckage'  that being said I don't mind the slightly attenuated high end sometimes. 

every type of buffer i've tried though works in this application. 

pauloman80

This is why I ask before I crack my gear open.  I've got a Korg DT-10 that tracks too slow for my taste, and I want to replace it with a TC Electronics PolyTune after comparing it to my Korg. 

Here's my current layout: Korg DT-10 bypass output > Slambox > VP Jr. > the rest of the board.  I much prefer to keep the tuner on all the time and just roll back the VP to tune.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?
Regards,
pauloman80

B_of_H

build a sunking w/buffered bypass and put it before the volume pedal then plug the tuner into the tuner out on the VP.

I personally think the dt10 is better than the pitchblack although the bypass isn't as great. 

jkokura

Both those tuners are buffered and you likely won't experience any tone suck. Too much has been made of te volume pedal tone suck I think. I've been using a 6166 for years and I've dine the true bypass test and it didn't suck any of my tone.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

B_of_H

Quote from: jkokura on February 24, 2011, 09:49:21 AM
Both those tuners are buffered and you likely won't experience any tone suck. Too much has been made of te volume pedal tone suck I think. I've been using a 6166 for years and I've dine the true bypass test and it didn't suck any of my tone.

Jacob

bingo

I think this is one of those nitpicky bs things that gets blown out of proportion by the internet forums.  :)

edit: i've tested this pretty heavily and there is a very slight audible difference with a buffer in front but it's so insignificant that it's not really worth worrying about IMO.

pauloman80

That's what I've always thought, but I have noticed some distinct differences in other small & seemingly "insignificant" tweaks & changes I've made.  Just want to make sure I'm getting the best performance from my gear as it's my livelihood.

So it sounds like the consensus from you peeps is if I go from guitar > VP input > tuner out to the PolyTune and amp out to my Slambox (which makes a huge difference overall anyway) I should be just fine & dandy.  Woot, that works for me.  Thanks, gang.

Quote from: B_of_H on February 24, 2011, 09:52:02 AM
Quote from: jkokura on February 24, 2011, 09:49:21 AM

Jacob

bingo

I think this is one of those nitpicky bs things that gets blown out of proportion by the internet forums.  :)

edit: i've tested this pretty heavily and there is a very slight audible difference with a buffer in front but it's so insignificant that it's not really worth worrying about IMO.
Regards,
pauloman80

stecykmi

I think they mean a buffer BEFORE the volume pedal...

B_of_H

Quote from: stecykmi on February 25, 2011, 10:25:28 PM
I think they mean a buffer BEFORE the volume pedal...

yes.

guitar>buffer>volume pedal*>amp

* = with tuner out connected to tuner

point being that the loss of a tiny amount of high end without the buffer connected is not really all that big a deal IMO.  I never run my treble knob on my amps very high to begin with.