News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1 knobber, Heliotrope/Robot

Started by sonarchotic, November 28, 2013, 05:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonarchotic

Here is the classic one knob fuzz built to Ritual specs except transistors. The 2p2222a's were too loud and oscillating and so were BC108's. I had AC176's at around 90 hfe that sound great and got rid of the racket so it's a Ge Ritual. My first 1590a and swirl too. The swirl turned out great but the clear coat f'd it up some.

This is Catilinbread's Heliotrope and Death By Audio's Robot in a box together. The Heliotrope has a pretty good straight fuzz and several cool octave up tones. The Robot has weird arpeggiation, octaves up and down, robot sounds and there's  a lot of fun interplay between the two circuits. Mostly this is a knob turning, synth fun kind of noise box. This was built as a trade for an artist friend who is going to finish the box or have me do a swirl after he gets to play with it for a while. My knobs are bunched up too close to the foot switches.

billstein

Great swirl. One of the best I've seen.

diablochris6

Great double-pedal build!  I'm looking forward to putting together a Robot sometime down the line.  Are there many useful tones, or is it a fun noisemaker?
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

sonarchotic

Thanks guys! Both the Heliotrope and Robot are pretty wild circuits. The Heliotrope probably is your best bet for 'useful' sounds but the Robot is a lot of fun. The Robot or better yet the main chip in it has a ton of untapped potential. The DBA version uses different pins on the chip than the tagboard modded version does. I think you could possibly use all the pins and use a combo of spst momentarys and a rotary switch to tap all the chip can do. I have some more chips so I plan to play around with some possibilities.