News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A picture is worth 10 posts

Started by madbean, November 01, 2017, 05:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Just a gentle reminder that when seeking tech help, a clear picture of your PCB top (and bottom if possible) and any wiring literally saves everyone a lot of headaches when trying to assist. I feel like we are constantly having to ask people to do this in tech threads when it really should be automatic. Of course, not every tech question may require that but if your build isn't working and you don't know where to start...that's where you start. Lots of us here can easily spot a wrong resistor, dicey wiring, backwards parts with minimal effort. Trying to deduce that without a visual aid is much, much harder and an unnecessary waste of everyone's time, including yours.

So, please, use this guideline:
Is my build not working, or not working as it should and I don't know where to start with debugging? No problem..we can help. But, help us a bit first by taking a couple minutes to snap one or two pictures and attach them to your post.

If we need further info like some voltage measurements, we'll ask :)

midwayfair

Quote from: madbean on November 01, 2017, 05:18:25 AM
If we need further info like some voltage measurements, we'll ask :)

Nearly every guitar pedal issue can be solved with voltages, pictures of both sides, and audio probe results very quickly. Missing any one of those makes finding the problem either more difficult or impossible. Much of the time simply gathering this information will reveal the problem and will in fact save you time. Please, folks, help us help you.

Here is one of MANY guides to obtaining the pertinent information (this happens to be mine, and it was geared toward beginners): https://www.reddit.com/r/diypedals/comments/23yroq/some_friendly_reminders_about_getting_effective/