News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

choosing and sourcing capacitors ?

Started by Ang3lus, February 25, 2011, 10:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ang3lus

is there any effect to using bipolar electros ? is putting them the "wrong" way in the pedal can cause some kind of effect ?

also, has anyone tried builds with only wimas and "other" capacitors ?

what is a good place to buy caps from (specially wimas)?

gtr2

when you order the poly film from futurlec about half of them are wimas.  The other brand is usually avx I believe.  They are cheap and sound good to me!  Give em a month though to get there.  I order caps and resistors from there.  I can get bulk prices without buying bulk  ;D  Well sort of... I do make sure when I buy the caps I order enough for the quantity price break,  but it's not 200 like needed for mouser.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

Mouser has 5mm WIMA box caps. Poly film and some polypropelyne.

Also, for 1uF film, I suggest the Panasonic ECQ-V if you are ordering from Mouser. A little cheaper and sound just as good.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: gtr2 on February 26, 2011, 01:02:15 AM
when you order the poly film from futurlec about half of them are wimas.  The other brand is usually avx I believe.  They are cheap and sound good to me!  Give em a month though to get there.  I order caps and resistors from there.  I can get bulk prices without buying bulk  ;D  Well sort of... I do make sure when I buy the caps I order enough for the quantity price break,  but it's not 200 like needed for mouser.

im getting ready to order from them and i noticed in the pictures of their box caps its all WIMA's. now i gotta jump on those low prices!! did you have to ask them for the price break or are you referring to the already low price?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

masterlk

Brian - when you say 5mm do you mean lead spacing?

Quote from: madbean on February 26, 2011, 01:32:40 AM
Mouser has 5mm WIMA box caps. Poly film and some polypropelyne.

Also, for 1uF film, I suggest the Panasonic ECQ-V if you are ordering from Mouser. A little cheaper and sound just as good.