News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Afterlife Build, 1st Madbean

Started by Agrinja, November 20, 2013, 09:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agrinja

So, I've been involved with electronics for quite a while, recently turned my attention to pedals. First ever was a BYOC Classic Delay, I recently decided I needed a compressor, liked the idea of something compact, so I sent off for an Afterlife board. Everything is stock, works great, wiring is standard although I added a case ground because I was getting buzz when touching the bare metal. It's unpainted, acid etched, did some blotch masking to go for a sort of relic look to it. Thank you kindly for your time.

jprizz

That's a cool finish, kind of looks like a stone cut from a quarry.

pickdropper

Yeah, dig the relic'd Ankh.  Really nice finish on that.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Quote from: pickdropper on November 21, 2013, 05:18:34 PM
Ahhh I didn't even notice it was an Ankh, thats great. How do you like the compressor. I have built about 5 and this one is next.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

eldanko

The Afterlife is one of my favorite comps actually - good choice! That etch reminds me of playing Ultima back in the day.
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

Agrinja

Thank you all kindly! Didn't think of the quarry cut stone, I might have to experiment with tinting this type of finish to try and enhance that.

Quote from: jimilee on November 21, 2013, 06:49:44 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on November 21, 2013, 05:18:34 PM
Ahhh I didn't even notice it was an Ankh, thats great. How do you like the compressor. I have built about 5 and this one is next.

This is the first hardware compressor I've ever owned, I've fiddled with software based ones before, but that was mostly for sidechaining a bassline or limiting transients coming off of a synth. For those purposes, had them set a bit squashy. This is extremely transparent, attack is preserved very very nicely up until about 4:00 on the knob, at which point it quickly becomes very percussive. I couldn't be more pleased with it, it's a very subtle beast. I might add a trim-pot in place of the threshold adjustment resistor, but I'm in no hurry because by default I'm finding it to be in a very nice place.

gordo

I agree, it's one of my goto pedals these days.  I set it to nudge the front of a clean amp a bit and the comp responds well to guitar knob changes (or at least as well as ANY compressor can).  It's definitely transparent.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

mcalaff

I already have the components and the PCB is on the way. Nice job!