News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

OD

Started by pedalman, November 21, 2013, 06:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedalman

Recommend a good OD to mate up with my Mudbunny for that sweet, sweet Gilmour tone.
Anybody have a PCB for a Tube Works clone?
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

midwayfair

Can't help with the second half of the request, but try a tube screamer. It restores the mids scooped out by the muff, and can bring the treble back up and cut some mud from the bottom. If you run it after the muff, you'll get the muffy sustain but more of the TS's EQ. If you do it the other way around, you'll get more of the muff in the final sound but it'll have a little more clarity. A lot of people also run a treble booster in front of a muff for a similar effect.

However, you could also just use an EQ on either side. There were several albums and tours where an EQ (or just as often a Treble and Bass Booster*) was part of the chain according to Gilmourish.

*This is a treble booster with an input cap blend; you could easily build it on Brian's Rangemaster PCB.

billstein

Quote from: midwayfair on November 21, 2013, 07:03:45 PM
Can't help with the second half of the request, but try a tube screamer. It restores the mids scooped out by the muff, and can bring the treble back up and cut some mud from the bottom. If you run it after the muff, you'll get the muffy sustain but more of the TS's EQ. If you do it the other way around, you'll get more of the muff in the final sound but it'll have a little more clarity. A lot of people also run a treble booster in front of a muff for a similar effect.

However, you could also just use an EQ on either side. There were several albums and tours where an EQ (or just as often a Treble and Bass Booster*) was part of the chain according to Gilmourish.

*This is a treble booster with an input cap blend; you could easily build it on Brian's Rangemaster PCB.

A rangemaster in front of a muff is a great combination.

croquet hoop

Bjorn from gilmourish.com usually recommends either a Blues Driver or an OCD (which madbean's Egodriver is) to boost a Muff, and finds that the Tube Screamer can be ok but has too much mids generally. The Green Bean has a switch to reduce the mid emphasis, so it could be a good choice too (and it's a great pedal on its own).