News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

"Because it's there."

Started by alanp, November 25, 2013, 08:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecycle66

bcalla

So far I have built about 2 dozen guitar pedals and 1 bass pedal (compressor).

I mostly play guitar at home - using DVD or PC based courses.  A few times per year I jam with friends.  So I don't really 'need' any of the guitar pedals I have built.

The only 2 times I played for an audience in the past year I was on bass & didn't even use the compressor I built.

billstein

Quote from: jimilee on November 26, 2013, 07:08:17 PM
A hobby is frivolous anyway, no harm no foul!

I like that. Now if I can get you to call my wife and explain it to her...

jimilee

Quote from: billstein on November 26, 2013, 09:47:31 PM

check please!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Stomptown

Quote from: billstein on November 26, 2013, 09:47:31 PM

+1  ;)

Clayford

Quote from: jimilee on November 26, 2013, 05:38:48 PM
It's a hobby with certain need for another hobby. I build for the challenge and to support independent designers like midway fair and Rej. I will end up with about 3 tremolos now with no real need for any, and everyone needs 10 delays, right?

But think of all the phasers Jimi!
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

jimilee

Quote from: Clayford on November 27, 2013, 11:36:50 PM
Quote from: jimilee on November 26, 2013, 05:38:48 PM
It's a hobby with certain need for another hobby. I build for the challenge and to support independent designers like midway fair and Rej. I will end up with about 3 tremolos now with no real need for any, and everyone needs 10 delays, right?

But think of all the phasers Jimi!
Would you believe I have 5 phaser pcb's unbuilt? And about twice that many i've built.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

Can't pass this one up.  Nothing to do at all with pedal building so major thread de-railment but here's a nice treat.  The late, great Michael Hedges - "Because It's There"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTC7kPZZmuM
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

billstein

Quote from: gordo on November 28, 2013, 03:27:54 AM
Can't pass this one up.  Nothing to do at all with pedal building so major thread de-railment but here's a nice treat.  The late, great Michael Hedges - "Because It's There"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTC7kPZZmuM

Thanks for the derailment. What an unbelievable talent he was. I started buying his music after I heard Steve Vai had said he was the best guitarist he'd ever heard.

I like what Bonnie Raitt said about him.
"In Michael's hands, a guitar was a living, breathing extension of his deepest parts. It's almost as if he got so inside its body that the instrument was reborn. His passion for creating those exquisite melodies and technique was as focused as it was abandoned. There was simply no one like him."

chromesphere

Ive been on holiday for less then a week and I think ive broken out from a rash from no pedal building...or maybe its heat rash...or I got bitten...anyway, I guess this view will have to distract me from this torture...
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

alanp

Haha :) Have fun, be careful not to be bitten by Australian spiders, or australian snakes, or australian beer, or...

Better go to Rotorua, I think ;)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

chromesphere

Lol thanks alan. My folks went to New Zealand recently loved it. Have to go there one day. They really need to lock up that guy in the crazy armor though...sauron Lord of something...could have been politics I think...
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

pedalman

I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

alanp

Quote from: alanp on November 25, 2013, 08:31:44 AM
Just started a TH sea urchin project (submitted just now.) Should be moderately hairy.

Thought I'd let you guys know what I'm up to on this --

Deep Blue Delay, using the MB Sea Urchin schematic, on a board of my own design :) (Shotglass is for scale.) Sea Flea! I'll post a proper report once I've boxed it up. A lot more clarity in this one than the Cavedweller.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

muddyfox

Quote from: alanp on November 29, 2013, 03:48:20 AM
Better go to Rotorua, I think ;)

Rotorua? Is that the place where they try to wean you off solder fumes by using sulfur fumes?  ::)