Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just Saying -- the soapbox thread

Started by alanp, November 30, 2013, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love

alanp

There's a song that comes on the radio from time to time, and I want to know the artist and track name.

It's got a feel somewhere between Link Wray's Rumble, and fifties rock. The singer doesn't stop for long, at all, and has a somewhat nasal voice that reminds me of a telecaster or good strat. The end of the song repeats "Get it on!" The production value is pretty high, too. (No, it isn't T Rex.)

Any guesses?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Alan i've the Shazam app on my ipod that is pretty amazing. It listens to a fragment of a song and usually in seconds identify's the song, artist and album. Or if there's no internet connection available it saves it's listen and identify's the song once an internet connection is established. I've only stumped it once and on another song i played it, the count for identifying was at one.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

Hershel Almond, Get it On Rockabilly (?)

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

Nope, that's not it, either, the production quality isn't as high for a start :(

It mentions a woman in a red dress at one point, too.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

thesmokingman

the hollies - long cool woman (in a black dress)
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

alanp

- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

Something weird just occurred to me. I tend to wear a lot of black, most days. I'm not goth, or emo, or anything like that. Black is practical, goes with everything, and doesn't stain as easily as, say, white.

Most people in NZ have a tendency to wear black quite a bit. I've heard one opinion that New Zealanders tend to look like a nation full of grieving Greek widows. This can partially be attributed to the legendary All Blacks, and I've also heard it goes back to New Zealand's egalitarian roots.

If you've met Kiwis in the past (or, even better, visited the Land of the Long White Cloud), does this bear out with what you've seen?
- Terry Pratchett
My website

raulduke

I also wear a lot of black.

Mainly due to the fact that it is quite a flattering/slimming colour to wear.

Conceals the beer gut nicely :)

Willybomb

My interactions with Kiwis both here in Australia and NZ is that Black is their national colour.  I think it comes from the All Blacks - every Kiwi sporting team wants black regardless of if they're representing the country in international competition or not.

alanp

Flicking through reviews on youtube (I need a good laugh), and apparently there's a new Zelda. Again.

* alanp checks Wiki...

Now there are twenty games in the Zelda main series, if my count of the Wiki section box at the bottom is right.

We don't give Friday the Thirteenth part eight and Saw IX: Return of the Cluedo a freebie on this, it winds up as direct-to-video dreck, so why does Nintendo get a freebie on never, ever coming up with new franchises?

I'm pretty sure this annoys me because one, I didn't grow up with a Nintendo game machine and two, I've never actually SEEN one in the flesh. Ever. (Except for maybe one on a shelf in a pawn shop...) I've seen plenty of Sega systems running Sonic and Alex the Kidd, but never Nintendo.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

juansolo

Black just works. If, like me, you're unable to comprehend fashion and why it exists, but are also into rock/metal/goth/industrial music, black pretty much chooses you. Or at least darker hues at the very least. As I've got older my wardrobe has become a little lighter in places, I've strayed into dark blues on occasion for example. But as I don't have a particularly sunny outlook generally, it'd be wrong of me to dress in a jolly manner. Plus I'm a massive introvert so I wouldn't want to look welcoming to people to make small talk with or indulge in touchy-feelyness. I can do without all that.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

culturejam

Quote from: alanp on April 24, 2017, 11:38:26 PM
I'm pretty sure this annoys me because one, I didn't grow up with a Nintendo game machine and two, I've never actually SEEN one in the flesh. Ever. (Except for maybe one on a shelf in a pawn shop...) I've seen plenty of Sega systems running Sonic and Alex the Kidd, but never Nintendo.

I'm the exact opposite. I never saw a Sega system of any kind in the wild until I was a senior in high school. My buddy bought a used Genesis on the cheap just to see what the big whoop was. It was okay.

Everything in my world was Nintendo. It was literally the only game in town. NES, Gameboy, and Super Nintendo ruled the world. Although I did have this one spoiled-brat friend that always had some exotic system (3DO, TurboGrafix 16, etc) in addition to his Nintendo.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

m-Kresol

my neighbor had a N64 with Zelda: Ocarina of Time and it was a blast just watching him play. It was one of, if not the first impressive 3D game and also it's massively long. I agree that the story pretty much never changed (I'm only up to date till the Wii version): Ganondorf wants evil, captures Zelda, Link goes to the Kokiri in the forest, the Gorons in the mountains and the Zora at the sea, later Gerudos in the desert. Of course getting the obligatory item to solve the puzzles on the way, one per temple.

Nevertheless, I found all the zelda games I played highly entertaining and addicting, even if the graphics on the Nintendos suck compared to other current game systems.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

alanp

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinations/nz/91434137/world-famous-in-new-zealand-the-southward-car-museum

I've been there! It's well worth a visit if you're in the area. It's longer to walk through than the article implies -- there's the basement with old firetrucks and the like, and an overhead gallery with antique motorbikes.

The gangster car has one of the windows rolled halfway down, with a box of matches sitting on the top of the window, to illustrate how )))))thick((((( the bulletproof glass is. The front windscreen is split, and hinged at the top, so gangsters could push their guns out at the bottom and shoot straight ahead without sticking their hands or heads out the side :D

There are some unbelievably expensive cars in that collection.
- Terry Pratchett
My website