Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just Saying -- the soapbox thread

Started by alanp, November 30, 2013, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Quote from: harryklippton on April 03, 2022, 05:51:32 AM
If an egg yolk is cooked all the way through, I don't even want it

There is cooked, and there is food poisoning.

People also get angry with me with regards to how I like my steak. Cooked, not raw.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Muadzin

Quote from: alanp on April 04, 2022, 12:36:39 AM
There is cooked, and there is food poisoning.

People also get angry with me with regards to how I like my steak. Cooked, not raw.

Why get angry over a food preference? Unless that is the way you serve steaks to other people. And it's your way or the highway.

alanp

Boysenberry filled chocolate is absolutely wonderful.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

peccary

I don't eat steak often but when I do I prefer it on the rare end of medium rare. My uncle used to just sear each side for a a few seconds and eat it blue, but that's a bit much for me.

jimilee

Quote from: peccary on May 07, 2022, 01:11:38 PM
I don't eat steak often but when I do I prefer it on the rare end of medium rare. My uncle used to just sear each side for a a few seconds and eat it blue, but that's a bit much for me.
I like it that way, but it's hard to chew. I liked to sear it and then put it in the oven. I'm a pescatarian now, so all I can do is watch my wife eat it, but it does smell good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

harryklippton

I might be a steak snob. I need a dry aged ribeye, and I need it about 3" thick, hard crust seared in butter, salt and thyme, and rare

jessenator

w/re: steak—spicy take—the only crime against a steak is cooking it to well-done. However, if a steak is overcooked and I'm not there to eat (or pay for) it, it's none of muh bidness :P

personal pref: sous vide for 3 hrs @ 118F, fridge salt cure for 48, pan sear in butter each side (once), the occasional herb thrown in, and 10 min rest. Maybe make a pan sauce from what's left.

Muadzin

I don't even like steak. Never did. Give me chicken or pork any time over steak.

peccary

Quote from: harryklippton on May 07, 2022, 02:16:23 PM
I might be a steak snob. I need a dry aged ribeye, and I need it about 3" thick, hard crust seared in butter, salt and thyme, and rare
How long until you're raising your own steaks out there?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

harryklippton

Quote from: peccary on May 18, 2022, 10:39:28 AM

I raised geese one summer a few years back cuz geese are the smallest cow. Actually I think id eat goose over beef 🤔 geese are true vegetarians, unlike other fowl who prefer insects over vegetation. I always want to get geese again but they're really really obnoxious and my wife hates them

peccary

Quote from: harryklippton on May 18, 2022, 01:34:36 PM
Quote from: peccary on May 18, 2022, 10:39:28 AM

I raised geese one summer a few years back cuz geese are the smallest cow. Actually I think id eat goose over beef [emoji848] geese are true vegetarians, unlike other fowl who prefer insects over vegetation. I always want to get geese again but they're really really obnoxious and my wife hates them
When I was in high school I was an FFA nerd who raised sheep. They were pretty easy to take care of and they'd keep your grass trimmed at the same time! Birds would be easier to slaughter, though, for sure.

Not sure I've ever eaten goose. I always assumed that only people in old Christmas movies ate geese lol

harryklippton

I'd love to have some sheep but we have a really high water table here so that was a no go

peccary

Quote from: harryklippton on May 18, 2022, 05:19:15 PM
I'd love to have some sheep but we have a really high water table here so that was a no go
Good thing geese float!

Muadzin

Speaking of large birds, I was driving home last weekend and there was suddenly a traffic jam on the entry road into the city. I thought the city was doing some road work again. Turned out there was a swan standing in the middle of the road and every car had to go around it.

alanp

Today I Learned...

That, as well as the classic metal band Diamond Head, there is also some place in Hawaii called 'Diamond Head'.

Now I'm wondering if there's a place called 'Celtic Frost'.
- Terry Pratchett
My website