Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just Saying -- the soapbox thread

Started by alanp, November 30, 2013, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: selfdestroyer on May 11, 2016, 12:20:44 PM
Quote from: alanp on May 11, 2016, 01:47:14 AM
I was actually tempted to get an X-box the other day.

Not enough to actually consider uncracking my wallet and spending money on one, mind you. But tempted on a "That might be nice level."

I picked up one at a thrift store a few weeks ago to try to do the memory upgrade. I picked up the memory here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271359815741?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Just got it a couple days ago.. I'm not afraid of soldering it but more afraid of the desoldering process. I have been watching a bunch of Youtube vids on it.

I have a couple others that are workhorses. One is modded with a SmartXX and the other (Halo green edition) is softmoded. I would recommend picking one up and tossing a 2TB HDD in it and get to playing. I think I may still have the notes from when I softmoded mine and put the 2TB HDD in if you want them.

Cody

Cody, is there any chance you'll reuse the old chip that you're desoldering?  If not, you can carefully cut each leg off and then it's easy to take them off one at a time (and then clean up the pads with a solder wick).

Or have you solved this already?
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

selfdestroyer

Quote from: pickdropper on May 25, 2016, 11:13:53 AM

Not enough to actually consider uncracking my wallet and spending money on one, mind you. But tempted on a "That might be nice level."

I picked up one at a thrift store a few weeks ago to try to do the memory upgrade. I picked up the memory here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271359815741?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Just got it a couple days ago.. I'm not afraid of soldering it but more afraid of the desoldering process. I have been watching a bunch of Youtube vids on it.

I have a couple others that are workhorses. One is modded with a SmartXX and the other (Halo green edition) is softmoded. I would recommend picking one up and tossing a 2TB HDD in it and get to playing. I think I may still have the notes from when I softmoded mine and put the 2TB HDD in if you want them.

Cody

Cody, is there any chance you'll reuse the old chip that you're desoldering?  If not, you can carefully cut each leg off and then it's easy to take them off one at a time (and then clean up the pads with a solder wick).

Funny you bring this up, I was wrong about needing to desolder anything. The tutorial I was reading was from people taking the ram chips out of non-working Xboxs and adding them to another Xbox. The original xbox mother board has 2 empty spots for more memory seen here:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Xbox-Motherboard-Rev1.jpg

I ordered new memory and got it but have yet put the time aside to solder it in. Soon I hope.

But, the tip you gave would have worked out nicely if I was not reusing the part for sure. I will have to try that with the Sega Dreamcast BIOS update if I choose not to piggyback it to the existing BIOS.

Thanks man

Cody

pickdropper

Quote from: selfdestroyer on May 25, 2016, 02:33:38 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on May 25, 2016, 11:13:53 AM

Cody

Funny you bring this up, I was wrong about needing to desolder anything. The tutorial I was reading was from people taking the ram chips out of non-working Xboxs and adding them to another Xbox. The original xbox mother board has 2 empty spots for more memory seen here:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Xbox-Motherboard-Rev1.jpg

I ordered new memory and got it but have yet put the time aside to solder it in. Soon I hope.

But, the tip you gave would have worked out nicely if I was not reusing the part for sure. I will have to try that with the Sega Dreamcast BIOS update if I choose not to piggyback it to the existing BIOS.

Thanks man

Cody

Sure thing.  Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

alanp

Apparently the Finns in WW2 had a battlecry, "Tulta munille", translating to "Fire at their balls!"  :o
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Muadzin

Rumor has it that Patton tried to convince Eisenhower to let his 3rd Army advance into Czechoslovakia and that one of the arguments he used was that unlike the German frauleins, which were zum strengsten forboten for his men, the Czech women could be 'fraternized' with.

lars

Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

alanp

Yeeeah... like I'm going to bother signing up for some random, pokey little news website that came up in a google trawl.

Plenty of other fish in the sea.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

We've got a nice little ritual at work (that I seem to have started.)

On Friday, half an hour before knock off time... crank up some AC/DC to get people in a weekend mood  8)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Muadzin

Even though fridays are my day off today I went back to the office because they were having pie, just for a slice. I'm such a pie addict. :(

blearyeyes

That is the coolest Pie song ever!

alanp

I work in the Small Goods department at work -- hearts, lung, liver, kidney, casings, everything inside the animal that isn't meat (or commonly viewed as such, like the diaphragm or skirt.) We even save the bungs sometimes, they get made into condoms.

One of the rooms is the Green Tripe room, where the sheep stomachs are cut open, cleaned, washed, and then sent to the clean side for packing. Green side is separate, separate entrance into the building, separate donko and toilet -- it's a licensing requirement.

The funny bit is where, for some reason, drug testing had to be done for the four or five men working on Green side. I forget the initial reason why, but... every one tested positive for having smoked dope in the last week!

Company policy is that it's an immediately sackable offense.

Reality at the time was that they didn't have any other people trained in the job, couldn't spare people to train up in it, and tripe makes more money than the main smallgoods room (which is separate from bungs and casings) -- so despite policy, all of them were kept on in their job  :o

Slightly less dodgy, and more funny... one of the green side boys went to scratch his arse while working... and forgot he had a knife in his hands.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1134227144&ed=true

This made me laugh.

"A tiger ate my GoPro!"

Proceeds going to 21st Century Tiger, not sure who they are. Hope it goes higher than $23.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

- Terry Pratchett
My website

m-Kresol

Quote from: alanp on August 03, 2016, 01:11:06 AM
http://speisa.com/modules/articles/index.php/item.2389/us-marines-brutally-ambushed-and-defeated-by-norwegian-kids.html?utm_campaign=shareaholic

I haven't laughed this hard in quite a while.

Don't start a snowball fight with Norwegian kids, even if you are a US Marine.

Thanks Alan! This is really well written and it is indeed hilarious.

definetely the best part:

There was a shrill cry in unintelligible gibberish and the doors to the school burst open. School children flooded out like a never-ending flood of something that never ends. Screeching, smiling, sprinting - how the hell were they sprinting?? - little bastards were slinging snowballs faster than the laws of physics should allow. It was like that movie Elf. If you can imagine riding in a fast car in a snowstorm and sticking your head out the window. Now imagine the snowflakes that are hitting your face are the size of snowballs. We couldn't see a damn thing. We couldn't run. We could barely breathe. Holy hell....

It's weird though how children are not afraid to attack armed soldiers. throwing snowballs is one thing, but really bringing one down could be dangerous with him carrying a weapon.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

alanp

I suspect youth, enthusiasm, and not even thinking of it on the kids part, added to body language on the soldiers' part that they know that if they even POINT the rifles anywhere near the kids, they'll be peeling potatoes from here 'till doomsday.
- Terry Pratchett
My website