Main Menu

Just Saying -- the soapbox thread

Started by alanp, November 30, 2013, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzCdog

That's so cool! 

I just checked, the resistance of your new trolley is 235MOhms  ;D

EBK

My laundry dryer broke, most likely just the heating element.  After calling around, my wife and I have realized that nobody will repair it for us because it doesn't make economic sense for appliance people to carry out this type of repair.  Quite sad and frustrating.  Thankfully (I guess), the Internet has shown me what I would need to do to repair it myself, assuming I can find the replacement part(s). 

(The summer weather is way too humid here to hang clothes up to dry outside, in case you were thinking of that solution to my problem.  I will be hanging up clothes to dry inside my house until I fix this though.)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

davent

My now almost 30 year old Maytag washing machine broke a couple years ago. With google help figured out what was up with it, was able to find the solenoid valve at a shop near me, the washer deisign was one that had been little changed in years. The original part was made in Italy didn't check the new one. The guy at the counter in the parts store and the service man were, 'don't ever get rid of that machine'. Started a stopwatch to see how long i'd need to put it back together, including a couple pictures under 7 minutes and ready to test. Was so simple, easy access, room to work, no computers, a different time.

Maytag gas dryer bought the same day only used in winter for sheets and bath towels, so far a new pilot and the plastic drum fan was replaced.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

mjg

My laptop broke last week.  Repair was to just replace the whole insides of the laptop because they don't really bother diagnosing it any more.  Lost 2 weeks of data since the last backup, because even the 'hard drive' is not recoverable in these new ones, the drive is some flash memory soldered directly to the logic board.  Logic board won't power up?  No way to access the hard drive.

EBK

Update:
Dryer has been fully disassembled.  Thermofuse blown.  Thermostat and heating element seem ok.  Vacuumed out all the dirt and lint.  *shrug*  New fuse arrives tomorrow.

Imgur just got really really hard to use today!  :o
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

madbean

MF'er if I have to endure one more youTube video with a uke, bells and whistling I am gonna lose my mind. I'm tyin'a enjoy watching baby goats!

EBK

Quote from: madbean on August 02, 2019, 10:50:31 AM
I'm tyin'a enjoy watching baby goats!

(Wish I had Photoshop skills here....)

nzCdog

EBK

Dryer update 2:
I am wearing the toasty test socks of tentative victory.  Will attempt to wash and dry some sheets before I crack open the cold beer of job completion.

thesmokingman

I spent years having to be my own appliance repairman because of perpetual paycheck to paycheck living. the hardest thing about dryer repair is getting that sheet metal shell back in place squarely ... then again I didn't have to work on the more modern dryers that are computer controlled, lcd display, sings songs, etc. those are bound to be a pain.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

EBK

The computers and displays and beeping stuff wasn't hard. It's all in one lightweight panel with a single electrical connector.  The hardest part was actually blindly reaching in and trying to figure out how to route the belt that spins the drum.

The thing that I found odd was that there was no error code displayed to say that there was a continuity break in the heater circuit.  It has codes for every other possible problem, it seems. 

somnif

Quote from: DFX on August 04, 2019, 04:53:34 AM
Another American shooting in the news....When will they learn

Two in one day, one in Texas, one in Ohio.

Wheeeee  :-\

EBK

I will probably delete the following after I calm down.

Edit:
[Deleted]

matmosphere

One of my oldest friends owns/runs a bar across the street from the bar where the Dayton shootings happened. Crazy ness, still not sure he's okay. No info on the victims yet.

Not cool. They stopped the guy in less than a minute but he still had time to kill nine people and injure at least a dozen more. Less than a freakin minute, and probably with a gun that you can just go buy at a shop.

matmosphere

Sorry guys that was a little heavy. Think my friend is all right. Crazy situation though.