News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just Saying -- the soapbox thread

Started by alanp, November 30, 2013, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Quote from: dawson on January 22, 2020, 12:26:49 PM
Every few months, for fun, I imagine what Michael Jackson might look like if he were still alive today.
He still tweets from his Verified account, so who's to say he isn't still alive?  ;D :P

Yesterday, he apparently quoted himself, saying:
Quote"That's life. To grow and become more. You plant a seed and it grows into something beautiful and it never dies, really. I think people should be that way." – Michael Jackson
:o
Twitter can be so creepy.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

dawson

Quote from: EBK on January 22, 2020, 12:39:45 PM
Quote from: dawson on January 22, 2020, 12:26:49 PM
Every few months, for fun, I imagine what Michael Jackson might look like if he were still alive today.
He still tweets from his Verified account, so who's to say he isn't still alive?  ;D :P

Yesterday, he apparently quoted himself, saying:
Quote"That's life. To grow and become more. You plant a seed and it grows into something beautiful and it never dies, really. I think people should be that way." – Michael Jackson
:o
Twitter can be so creepy.
^I had no idea!

His music will certainly live on until the extinction of intelligent life, but if he himself is still kicking somewhere..he's hiding about a decade of new material that he ought to share with us A.S.A.P.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

alanp

Got a can of circuit board cleaner (flux remover) from Jaycar... seriously unimpressed. Sure, you can't see the flux now... but that's because it's spread across the whole jolly board as a thin, board-wide smear of chemicals. Ewwww.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Quote from: alanp on January 31, 2020, 05:49:58 PM
Got a can of circuit board cleaner (flux remover) from Jaycar... seriously unimpressed. Sure, you can't see the flux now... but that's because it's spread across the whole jolly board as a thin, board-wide smear of chemicals. Ewwww.

I still just flick/pick off the hardened flux with a stainless steel dental pick, then go over the board with a small cheap artist's brush that i've trimmed the bristles down so they're pretty short and stiff.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

Incoming rant:

I hate how new games keep cutscening it up all the time. Tomb Raider 2013 was bad for this. (I'm using new for anything in the last decade... I must be getting old.) I started playing Middle Earth: Shadows of War and they should have included a warning that, before getting to play, you had to watch Monolith Production's attempt at a Lord of the Rings film, runtime and all.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Muadzin

Quote from: alanp on February 02, 2020, 09:25:07 PM
Incoming rant:

I hate how new games keep cutscening it up all the time. Tomb Raider 2013 was bad for this. (I'm using new for anything in the last decade... I must be getting old.) I started playing Middle Earth: Shadows of War and they should have included a warning that, before getting to play, you had to watch Monolith Production's attempt at a Lord of the Rings film, runtime and all.

Mmmm, ingame cutscenes. I remember the first game that had ingame cutscenes, Wingcommander III. What a sight it was to view Luke Skywalker and have him scour aboard the TCS Victory looking for conversations/cutscenes. And you basically won Wingcommander IV based on the choices you made in the final cutscene. What a revolution that was. And with real actors. In incredibly low resolution of course, but hey, it was the 90's. I do hate it that the first time you play a game you have to watch a lengthy intro film though that you can't escape by pressing a button. I imagine that that gets annoying real fast.

somnif

Quote from: Muadzin on February 03, 2020, 01:37:11 AM
I do hate it that the first time you play a game you have to watch a lengthy intro film though that you can't escape by pressing a button. I imagine that that gets annoying real fast.

Every time I re-install Skyrim, I start playing, then quit out, and install a mod that lets me skip the looooong slow plodding intro of the game.

I always forget to do it at first, and then boom, I'm spending 5 minutes sitting in a cart, waiting in line, etc.

alanp

There's a mod somewhere that is basically just someone saving the game riiight before the race selection, etc, starts.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

Watched a few "How To Drink" videos on youtube (the Skyrim and Big Lebowski episodes are pretty good), and if you go through his past videos, you can definitely tell that Greg films entire seasons in one day. In the first episode of a season, he's pretty sober and straight, but by the end of the season, he's near swinging on the rafters drunk.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

Ignoring the TV series, how common is the insult "Jack ass" ? I see it here and there in stories by USAian authors, but almost never on the internet.

I'm mostly asking 'cos on one of Tim Pool's videos, his autocensor actually censors "jackass", implying that it's a commonly used strong insult. But it's not used at all in NZ.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Willybomb

QuoteMmmm, ingame cutscenes. I remember the first game that had ingame cutscenes, Wingcommander III.

I upgraded my pc to a 486DX4/100 just for that game.  The game was a big deal at the time, as it had the largest budget (over 1million, iirc) for a video game ever back then.

EBK

Quote from: alanp on February 15, 2020, 06:02:24 PM
Ignoring the TV series, how common is the insult "Jack ass" ? I see it here and there in stories by USAian authors, but almost never on the internet.

I'm mostly asking 'cos on one of Tim Pool's videos, his autocensor actually censors "jackass", implying that it's a commonly used strong insult. But it's not used at all in NZ.
It is common enough that it doesn't sound archaic or perplexing when someone uses it.  Most often used when you want to shout at someone for being an inconsiderate idiot, like, "Move it, you jackass!"

Less common than "asshole", which is widely censored.  I'd say the two are roughly on par in terms of offensiveness to those who are sensitive to words, but jackass is cleaner.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

somnif

That's because a "jackass" is an animal, rather than a part of our filthy shameful human anatomy.

Note it only works if being directed at a male, as technically the female should be a "Jenny" ass. 

Govmnt_Lacky

RATP....

Thats Rage Against Ticket Prices!

Always been a HUGE fan of Rage Against The Machine. That has changed in the last week or so. Now that they are touring with Zach and it is a nostalgia tour, apparently the "anti-Capitalistic" band is OK with charging outrageous prices for their concerts. Those who waited endlessly for initial relaease tickets got the priviledge of paying $125/ea. for nosebleed seats  :o If you try to get tickets NOW... you are looking at anywhere from $300/ea. for nosebleed to around $800/ea. for floor seats.

I guess they are Killing in The Name of... Money  :-\

And please don't say "Well.. its the companies, production, etc. that is charging and why prices are so high." We all know the band can have a say.

I would have more respect for them if they refused to do the shows unless prices were respectable.

matmosphere

Alan, I think Jackass was more common back in the seventies and eighties. I remember hearing it much more when I was a kid. There was a popular sitcom here called That 70's Show maybe 15 years ago. The dad in that show said jackass all the time and it was never censored. Prime-time, network TV and it definitely wasn't a problem.

Government Lacky, one word for you.. Fugazi