News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just Saying -- the soapbox thread

Started by alanp, November 30, 2013, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muadzin

I'm set and forget too. Does it melt the solder? Fine, good enough, never ever hit the settings again.

jimilee

Quote from: Muadzin on May 10, 2020, 07:29:48 AM
I'm set and forget too. Does it melt the solder? Fine, good enough, never ever hit the settings again.
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Willybomb

An interstate friend picked up a second hand MS-3 for me (about half price, good deal) and posted it to me.

To my address from 2 years ago..... and tracking says it was delivered today.  Luckily, it's just down the road and next door to the inlaws.  Hoping this works out.

alanp

This is going to sound really stupid, but that Boys2Men song, "I Swear", really annoys me, chiefly because it flies in the face of Christ's teachings in Matthew 5:33-37, let your yes mean yes, and your no mean no. (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+5%3A33-37&version=NIV).

Also, of course, because a lot of the time, all those grand promises and declaration prove themselves completely empty when the next pretty girl comes along.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Willybomb

It would make for a even more repetitive song though, "yes... yes.... yes".

I was able to grab my MS-3 from the address it was delivered to this morning too.  Worked out in the end.

jimilee

I don't even know the lyrics....

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

davent

Quote from: jimilee on May 26, 2020, 04:50:42 AM
I don't even know the lyrics....

English is my only language and I'm pretty much clueless of the lyrics for most of the english language music i do listen to, i've little to no pop/radio/video/commercial music exposure for a few decades at this point. Anyways... I thought the lyric role was to have something to hang a melody on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kE6yHl-NBQ&list=RD1kE6yHl-NBQ&start_radio=1
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

somnif

So, my state has implemented a Curfew, 8pm to 5am, for this week.

I only learned about this when trying to walk into my local grocery store at 7:45 and a cop at the door told me they were closing in a couple minutes. While the order does allow for essential travel (including to/from businesses, getting food, etc), most businesses in town are closing early.

As someone who does the vast majority of my shopping after sundown (It's Arizona, the sun is evil) this is gonna be a weird week.

alanp

While NZ was at level 4, my work gave everyone a notice to show to police if we were stopped on the way to or from work.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

EBK

Quote from: somnif on May 31, 2020, 08:33:18 PM
...this is gonna be a weird week.
Wow! I envy you if things are only now starting to become weird there.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

somnif

Quote from: EBK on May 31, 2020, 08:36:59 PM
Quote from: somnif on May 31, 2020, 08:33:18 PM
...this is gonna be a weird week.
Wow! I envy you if things are only now starting to become weird there.

That's actually part of it. Our Governor acted so ludicrously toothless during the quarantine that nearly nothing actually changed (Gyms were just about the only enforced closure) that now, when a couple windows got broken in the rich part of town, he comes out with this... it raises some eyebrows.

Aentons

Quote from: Muadzin on April 29, 2020, 05:07:32 AM

Quote from: alanp on April 28, 2020, 09:34:49 PM
The thought occurred to me today that Toyota, Nissan, and the other major car manufacturers (like Suzuki, etc) need to bring out electric sports cars.

Not a hotted-up Prius or Smart, but a case where the Nissan Skyline team are given carte blanche to come up with an Electric Skyline. Something fast, sexy, and with a historical name behind it. Tesla have made a good one, but... they aren't wellknown as a carmaker, more as having a CEO who has a sideline of agent provocateur.

Because, IMO, just selling electric cars as 'eco-friendly' isn't going to get you the kind of market share it needs. You need aspirational cars -- both superfast voomvoom cars, and also luxury (with two g's... luggxury) of the kind that Maybach can pull off. As well as the greenies, the wider populace needs to buy into this on a mental level, rather than seeing it as being an 'eco-mentalist thing'.

I dunno. People who love thus luxury cars love them for their looks, and that glorious sound you make as you rev up the engine. You won't get that with an electric car. It's always going to be a case like with digital vs. analog. Some people will ALWAYS prefer the sound of analog over digital, so why would that be any different with fast flashy cars?

Besides, those cars are just a tiny tiny fragment of the total car market. If you want to end polution from cars you have to do like Ford did, not design high end cars, but one for the common man. The regular Joe may lust after a Ferrari, he's never in a million years going to be able to afford one. But he still needs something to drive from A to B, one that is affordable, reliable and economic. You're never going to get the masses to drive electric by designing electric super cars that they could never afford anyway. But build something that is cheap, reliable and cheaper to drive then gasoline and if you build it they will come. I for sure would.

QuoteThis was brought to mind by some photos of New Delhi, before and after lockdown, and what a difference no cars made to the polluted skyline.

New Delhi is like the most polluted city on the planet? That or Beijing. Or Tehran. In the latter you can taste the pollution. I reckon this may be one of the good things to come out of this crisis. People having to work at home and not commute. And discovering that they may actually like it. And companies discovering you can operate that way. I reckon if after this crisis is over, and provided the economy hasn't melted down, a lot more working at home will take place. If only on average we'd all work 1 day per week at home that alone would probably be a big savings for the environment.

A bunch of car companies tried fully electric in the 90's with models like the Ford Ranger and Toyota RAV4 and the infamous GM EV1. There is a documentary called "Who killed the electric car?" that goes into the details. I think they all lost big $$$ and got scared after that. It's all pretty interesting how it happened.

I saw another documentary about different Ford markets and it showed how they make a special Fiesta model just for India that has cheap replaceable exterior body panels. Apparently the city streets are so chaotic and unruly that cars get banged up really quick. I wish they would make that standard in all markets

Willybomb

I'm not one of these blokes who usually says something trite (or serious) about other countries going ons.... but to you guys in the USA, I hope you people as a society can get through what's going on now.  It's scary, and hopefully some good will come out of it.  I don't agree with looting and burning people's livelihoods, but I can kinda understand why it's happened.  Good luck.

thesmokingman

Quote from: Willybomb on June 03, 2020, 03:15:47 AM
I'm not one of these blokes who usually says something trite (or serious) about other countries going ons.... but to you guys in the USA, I hope you people as a society can get through what's going on now.  It's scary, and hopefully some good will come out of it.  I don't agree with looting and burning people's livelihoods, but I can kinda understand why it's happened.  Good luck.
It's an election year, we're not nearly done being our worst selves. I hope we don't all come down with collective amnesia about how divisive things have gotten when this all calms down. There's plenty of lessons to learn from all of this and opportunities for us all to improve.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

alanp

Been watching a few of this guy's rock and metal reaction vids. (I have no interest in hiphop, other than an Anthrax/Public Enemy vid he reacted to.) He's hyperactive as hell, which makes it entertaining, and also surprisingly insightful at times.

One insight was that metal makes you feel things emotionally. It's a very evocative style.

Another (admittedly a personal insight) was that you can actually enjoy listening to an instrument, with no singer or rapper.
- Terry Pratchett
My website