News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just Saying -- the soapbox thread

Started by alanp, November 30, 2013, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Quote from: mjg on August 20, 2020, 12:36:17 AM
I saw a brand of sauce here in Australia the other day, which was advertised as being "all the flavour of fast food, but in your own home".
Vegetable shortening mixed with ketchup?  :P

To sort of rip off a line from comedian Jim Gaffigan: I've never had a fast food meal and thought afterward, "You know, I'm glad I ate that."  (His joke was about Hot Pockets instead.)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

davent

According to this site, McDonalds, globally, sells 75 burgers every minute, big market for sad sauce.
https://expandedramblings.com/index.php/mcdonalds-statistics/
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jimilee

Quote from: EBK on August 20, 2020, 06:56:39 AM
Quote from: mjg on August 20, 2020, 12:36:17 AM
I saw a brand of sauce here in Australia the other day, which was advertised as being "all the flavour of fast food, but in your own home".
Vegetable shortening mixed with ketchup?  :P

To sort of rip off a line from comedian Jim Gaffigan: I've never had a fast food meal and thought afterward, "You know, I'm glad I ate that."  (His joke was about Hot Pockets instead.)
Hooot poooockets. I love gaffigan, he has a lot of things on amazon prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

Saw a pie in the supermarket which was marked as being "Burger Flavoured!"

Mustard does NOT belong in a meat pie. Tomato sauce yes, mustard no. Yech.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

thesmokingman

I don't know if a bierock (aka runza) is considered a meat pie but mustard is the cherry on the top  ... practically required
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

alanp

Quote from: alanp on January 27, 2016, 11:47:09 PM
Or Apogee. What studios did they evaporate into? Secret Agent Man could do with a sequel, too.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/358350/Secret_Agent/

It's on Steam!
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

With all the Marvel and DC comic book movies coming out these days...

We need a mainstream Asterix movie. Like how we had a pretty good Tintin movie.

"These Romans are crazy!"

I think I must have read every one of them before I was twelve.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Willybomb

When you say "mainstream", do you mean "English language"?  There's been multiple in french...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Asterix_films

alanp

There's been several English dubs of those -- Asterix in Britain was my favourite.

I mean like a blockbuster :)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

matmosphere

people in the US don't know the character at all. I'm only familiar with him from seeing a few (emphasis on few, they were very uncommon) comics at comic book stores years ago.

I was always intrigued but never had the money to buy them.

Willybomb

My favourite sauces:

Taka Tala - Beerenberg Farms
Spicy Ketchup - Aldi.  Was a "Special Buy" so it hasn't been in stock for a while.  Masterfoods did a Sriracha/Tomato sauce limited run that was close.
Burger Sauce - Also Aldi.  The Coles Homebrand one is pretty good to, but they both make everything taste like a Big Mac.

EBK

Quote from: Willybomb on September 01, 2020, 08:31:16 PM
My favourite sauces:

Spicy Ketchup - Aldi.  Was a "Special Buy" so it hasn't been in stock for a while.  ....
I love mixing ketchup with one (sometimes both) of these, plus a small pinch of cumin:
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

thesmokingman

buffa-cue sauce ... it is degen af, but I have some mixed up in the fridge for sure ... best on pork country style ribs
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

alanp

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/local-democracy-reporting/300098597/driveways-driven-away-by-new-rule

A new rule is coming in where driveways are not required in new house builds, to free up more land (ie, more houses in the same amount of space. I sometimes wonder when NZ is going to start building more high-density blocks.)

The description in the story is "like Coronation street". Those forumites living in the UK, and Europe, what's life like in these houses with no parking?
- Terry Pratchett
My website

davent

Quote from: alanp on September 06, 2020, 03:51:13 PM
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/local-democracy-reporting/300098597/driveways-driven-away-by-new-rule

A new rule is coming in where driveways are not required in new house builds, to free up more land (ie, more houses in the same amount of space. I sometimes wonder when NZ is going to start building more high-density blocks.)

The description in the story is "like Coronation street". Those forumites living in the UK, and Europe, what's life like in these houses with no parking?

Most driveways on my street are only big enough forone small car, family across he street has four,  and most have more then one, the street is lined with parked cars.  We're one street over from a commercial shopping street, we're walking distance  from a major hospital so employees park on our street. We'd be better off without driveways then you wouldn't have to deal with cars parked blocking the driveway, street parking by permit would be a better arrangement.

Besides neither of us have ever owned a car or any other vehicle to park in our driveway...
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?