News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just Saying -- the soapbox thread

Started by alanp, November 30, 2013, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars

Why is it that 90% of the Dimarzio humbuckers on the used market are F-spaced?
Oops, bought the wrong one, huh?
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

alanp

It's interesting, how translation can cause gaps in understanding, sometimes.

Ivan Grozny. In English, Ivan the Terrible, Tsar of Russia.

This is a bit misleading, to modern readers, though. It's like Pratchett's Lords and Ladies. "Elves are fantastic. Elves beget fantasy. Elves are terrific. Elves beget terror. No one ever said elves are nice."

The translation 'Terrible' doesn't mean as in the modern understanding of rubbish at something. It's closer to the original meaning, as in he was a terrible foe. Ivan the Formidable would possibly be a closer modern translation.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

lars

Man, this is bad. And I've had my share of bad reviews. I still remember my first good one, though:  "Everything else in this production of Our Town was simply terrible. Joey Tribbiani was abysmal."
~Joey Tribbiani
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

Muadzin

Quote from: alanp on August 13, 2021, 10:59:37 PM
It's interesting, how translation can cause gaps in understanding, sometimes.

Ivan Grozny. In English, Ivan the Terrible, Tsar of Russia.

This is a bit misleading, to modern readers, though. It's like Pratchett's Lords and Ladies. "Elves are fantastic. Elves beget fantasy. Elves are terrific. Elves beget terror. No one ever said elves are nice."

The translation 'Terrible' doesn't mean as in the modern understanding of rubbish at something. It's closer to the original meaning, as in he was a terrible foe. Ivan the Formidable would possibly be a closer modern translation.

English is abysmally terrible on non-English names. Don't get me started on how all Roman emperors have lost the final 'us' from their names in English. Augustus became August, Trajanus became Trajan, Hadrianus became Hadrian, to name a few. All except Titus. I suspect for obvious reasons.

Rockhorst

Just saying I haven't visited this forum in a looooong time and I should change that :)

mjg

Muadzin

I don't even build pedals anymore and I still enjoy coming here. So welcome back!

Rockhorst

Quote from: mjg on August 20, 2021, 12:48:00 AM
Hey, welcome back Rockhorst
Thanks MJG and Muadzin!
I designed a bunch of PCBs during the first lock down, then lost interest. Working on getting them verified and on the website again after a break :) Fun stuff coming.

madbean

Quote from: Rockhorst on August 20, 2021, 05:04:56 PM
I designed a bunch of PCBs during the first lock down, then lost interest. Working on getting them verified and on the website again after a break :) Fun stuff coming.

alanp

I don't know why Youtube brought this one up... but it's utterly hilarious.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

All my life, this has been flax, to me. The leaves are a meter or so long, the flower stems two or three meters long (and lovely when they open), and flax makes famously strong rope. In past times, it was also used to make cloth. It's probably closer to non-desert agave than anything else.

Today, I discovered that, to a European, this is flax:

which is also used to make cloth. Apparently, when Captain Cook found out about New Zealand flax, and how the Maori used the plant, he named it after European flax... which has largely similar uses.

https://teara.govt.nz/en/flax-and-flax-working/page-1

Write-up about NZ flax.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

thesmokingman

I just sat through First Amendment Auditor training at work ... my hot take was very "get off my lawn" ... the irony is that 20 years (and two children) ago I would have enjoyed this form of legal trolling and "I'm not touching you" brand of shenanigans
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

alanp

Rebuilt my old Windows Home Server V1 setup into an Unraid box. All the data is transferred, and I've now added a 12TB drive for parity (error checking and backup, basically.) WHS uses SMB version 1... and Windows 10 no longer actively supports SMB1 due to massive security issues (WannaCry, and others.) So I had to do something.

Unraid supports the "bunch of random drives appearing as one network share" thing that WHS does, and also spreads files across the drives natively, like WHS. Unlike WHS, it also supports a cache drive (super quick SSD for temporary storage when copying new files on, to be transferred to the slower main drives later), and a parity drive (if one of the data drives turns into a cactus, you can replace it with a new drive and rebuild the data from the parity drive.) The only main drawback is that the individual data drives cannot be bigger than your parity drives.

Windows Home Server's idea of this kind of RAID-like rebuildability was an option to have a network share mirrored on a second drive. That was literally it.

I've just added the parity drive, and Unraid is now creating the parity backup stuff on it. The ETA for the parity drive setup is 5 days or more. Probably more.

- Terry Pratchett
My website

jimilee

Excellent. It sounds like your data is well protected.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

Not at the moment, hence why the parity drive is currently being built.

Current drive load-out:
1x 12TB (Parity)
1x 6TB (Data)
2x 3TB (Data)
1x 1.5TB (Data)
5x 1TB (Data)

At some point, I want to start replacing the 1TB drives (this server is more than a decade old.) But I'm in no hurry, it's not like I'm running out of room in a hurry.

I originally built it because the classic storage method of hundreds of CD-Rs (and later, DVD-R) effectively meant that I never actually watched any of the movies, anime, or TV series I collected due to the hassle of finding the necessary storage medium and putting it on the PC. It... escalated from there. Fileservers are surprisingly useful critters once they're built.
- Terry Pratchett
My website