News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just Saying -- the soapbox thread

Started by alanp, November 30, 2013, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan.schumaker

Quote from: alanp on September 03, 2021, 10:18:11 PM
Not at the moment, hence why the parity drive is currently being built.

Current drive load-out:
1x 12TB (Parity)
1x 6TB (Data)
2x 3TB (Data)
1x 1.5TB (Data)
5x 1TB (Data)

At some point, I want to start replacing the 1TB drives (this server is more than a decade old.) But I'm in no hurry, it's not like I'm running out of room in a hurry.

I originally built it because the classic storage method of hundreds of CD-Rs (and later, DVD-R) effectively meant that I never actually watched any of the movies, anime, or TV series I collected due to the hassle of finding the necessary storage medium and putting it on the PC. It... escalated from there. Fileservers are surprisingly useful critters once they're built.

That is a project that has been on my "someday" list for a long time.  I am in the same boat with tons of old DVD-R's and CD-R's for backup and I would love to make a media server and use like Kodi or Plex (Or whatever the program of the day is) to view all my media.  Someday....

matmosphere

I threw a bunch of movies on a Radpberry Pi running as a Plex server. A little more modest than your solution, but I was an early adopter of streaming movies so I stopped buying dvds well over a decade ago. It's great and honestly I grab it whenever we go vacation and our hotel rooms always have all our movies ready to go.

alanp

Quote from: Rockhorst on August 19, 2021, 01:30:49 PM
Just saying I haven't visited this forum in a looooong time and I should change that :)

https://www.nucleonfx.com/en/deuterium

I used a PT2395 for a delay module for my eurorack synth... it got very, very involved, circuitwise (CV control over everything!)

How are you finding the '95 chip?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

lars

The first answer option says it all. I really hope the person that made this survey is not in any kind of mechanical maintenance field or has any weighty responsibilities. Good grief. No wonder the world is broken.
(if you can't see the problem:  THERE'S NOTHING "ABOVE" THE FIRST OPTION!!!)
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

Aentons

...and they left out "All of the above"

alanp

I still have a brief WTF moment when I'm watching a video by an American (in this case, one of Peter Santenello's Amish ones) and they talk about how a cafe' has the most amazing pie... and, rather than a steak and cheese, or steak and mushroom, or chicken and bacon pie... they bring out pudding.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Aentons

Quote from: alanp on September 25, 2021, 12:17:21 AM
I still have a brief WTF moment when I'm watching a video by an American (in this case, one of Peter Santenello's Amish ones) and they talk about how a cafe' has the most amazing pie... and, rather than a steak and cheese, or steak and mushroom, or chicken and bacon pie... they bring out pudding.
Yep, they are almost exclusively desserts over here. We would refer to the others as a "pot pie", as in chicken pot pie. I do have similar reaction as you when someone refers to pizza as a pie.

jimilee

On the other side of that coin, a meat pie sounds terrible. The pudding sure isn't the jello pudding I grew up with either. Crazy how the meanings are not the same considering the origins of the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

EBK

I think "pudding" in non-American English is just another word for dessert.  I don't think he meant pudding as in sweetened starch-thickened milk.  Of course, I reserve the right to be completely wrong.   :P
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

alanp

You don't serve Christmas Pudding at Christmas, then?

When I was a kid, Gran made the most amazing ones. Grandad poured his homemade brandy over it and set it on fire just before serving :)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

thesmokingman

regrettably no, though it has become a running gag within the household about figgy pudding and how I won't stop until I get some
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

fig

Quote from: thesmokingman on September 28, 2021, 04:28:52 AM
regrettably no, though it has become a running gag within the household about figgy pudding and how I won't stop until I get some

???
I'm lookin' for this place called Lee Ho Fooks

thesmokingman

the lyrics to We Wish You A Merry Christmas
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Muadzin

Quote from: alanp on September 25, 2021, 12:17:21 AM

I'm more amazed when I see a mentioning of pie and it has meat in it. Pies are deserts, not dinner. Only the British could come up with such a bizarre dish, and they are of course world renowned for their culinary arts.

EBK

I once had a slice of sausage, tomato, fennel pie that was pretty amazing. 

https://dangerouspies.com/pies
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber