News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aquaboy add-on boards

Started by maysink, January 17, 2011, 08:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maysink

I've emailed Brian about a special run of AB add-on boards over the last few months and he seemed willing. I know others are interested. I also realize Brian is busy as hell and etched boards are time consuming. Marcus over at FSB.org is out of add-on boards and had no plans as of last month to make any more.

So, If you have an current AB board AND are looking for either a double delay and/or modulation board to make it the greatest pedal ever, voice your needs here to convince the mighty 'Bean this is worth his time. Brian mentioned in another thread being flooded with orders (1/2011) so this wouldn't happen until next month maybe, possibly?

This is basically a poll-less poll to gauge demand.

Please note: the rumor is the next AB board will have all this (and more?) BUILT-IN so plan accordingly...
[nothing to see here]
-e

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

B_of_H

I made up a little perfboard diagram for the modulation board using the pcb file from that thread.

I checked it over but I haven't built it yet but I'm pretty sure it's all there.

from the PCB

M1 = 9v
M2 = GND
M3 = Out

the LED + side is on the right

pandadandan

Quote from: B_of_H on January 17, 2011, 09:21:35 AM
I made up a little perfboard diagram for the modulation board using the pcb file from that thread.

I checked it over but I haven't built it yet but I'm pretty sure it's all there.

from the PCB

M1 = 9v
M2 = GND
M3 = Out

the LED + side is on the right

What do you know, I actually made one of these last night from the Digital Destruct pcb layout.  Psychic!

I needed one of these as I have the giant original Aqua Puss board but had no boxes big enough to put it in.  I bought a huge 1590DD box, so it would look too sparse with only three controls.  I'm adding the momentary grounding switches suggested by Hoyager here
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=772.0
to flesh it out even more.

B_of_H

Quote from: pandadandan on January 18, 2011, 06:59:34 PM

What do you know, I actually made one of these last night from the Digital Destruct pcb layout.  Psychic!

I needed one of these as I have the giant original Aqua Puss board but had no boxes big enough to put it in.  I bought a huge 1590DD box, so it would look too sparse with only three controls.  I'm adding the momentary grounding switches suggested by Hoyager here
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=772.0
to flesh it out even more.

cool...yeah.  what are the 'domes' exactly?

I was thinking on this one of something like this:

pandadandan

They short either lug one or lug three of the delay pot to ground according to the OP.

B_of_H

Quote from: pandadandan on January 19, 2011, 09:07:20 AM
They short either lug one or lug three of the delay pot to ground according to the OP.

lug 3 = least resistance

lug 1 = max resistance

?

so they are little push button switches? 

hoyager

Just a wire connection to the lugs of the delay pot, or to the board where the pot is wired too, has the same effect. The wire is connected to the dome, and you touch it.

I don't really know how or why it works, only that it does, and sounds cool!

The interval you get from touching one of the lugs also depends on where you have the trimpot set for delay time. There's a 4th on the new one I've built, and the older one a bit less than a 3rd.

Is the long short switch you have from this post?

http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8376&hilit=aquapuss+clone&start=160#p104487

modernage

Quote from: maysink on January 17, 2011, 08:58:09 AM

So, If you have an current AB board AND are looking for either a double delay and/or modulation board to make it the greatest pedal ever, voice your needs here to convince the mighty 'Bean this is worth his time.
I'm interested in 3 of each. I tried to nab some over at fsb, to no avail. This is one of the builds that I am planning on building soon.

I was wondering if it would be worth using a Pork Barrel board instead of that basic lfo circuit for modulation in a AB. Could you imagine if Boss built a Deluxe Memory Man style delay that was a DM2 w/ double delay time and a CE2 for modulation?  :o  Of course I would probably try to wire it up so the Pork Barrel could be used on its own too. I've got 3 AB boards right now, perhaps I'll try that with one of them.

gtr2

The aquaboy mod circuit affects the delayed signal differently than a normal chorus.  The LFO is injected into the delayed signal to modify it (without getting technical).  The delayed signal does not "run through" it.

The pork barrel would require the delay's "wet" loop to run through the pork barrel, in order to be effected.  It certainly can be done!  But it would be overkill.  At that point you could just put in a wet signal effects loop and add whatever you wish to effect the delay's.  The deluxe memory boy has this and you can do some interesting things like add an octave effect in its loop.  Really cool.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

modernage

Yeah, that's pretty much what I had in mind when those gears were a turning inside my brain. The Skreddy Echo, and soon to be released Strymon Timeline, have a feedback loop as well... with arguably a better delay sounds quality than the DMB, but that can be for another thread. haha.

Plus isn't overkill and excess one of the big selling points of going diy? haha. I mean, that's how you can go from a 1 knob, 1 toggle Small Stone phaser to a 5 knob, 5 toggle Whetstone.  :D

BTW, I'm a Josh as well, so...... well, I don't really know what I was going to say. Probably some lame joke about how you must be awesome, but I think that goes without saying.

gtr2

Welcome to the forum Josh!  That seems weird saying that... :D

I sold my DMB.  It's actually the only delay pedal I've gotten rid of.

I guess by overkill I only meant that you can achieve a similar result with a much simpler circuit in this case. (and much cheaper) 

Go for it!  Only your imagination can stop you  :)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer