News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Red Ross Flanger?

Started by PeterMorton, May 19, 2010, 02:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterMorton

How about one of these? I have one that says, "Made in Chanute, KS," that sounds better than any of the others... There is a later, black one and even one that is a slightly different shade of red. Those don't sound right to me. I know that the Ross stuff from the 70's is basically cloned from MXR stuff, but I don't know what this is a clone of... The only downside to mine is noise and it uses AC power. But it sounds perfect, especially for swirly, uni-vibey stuff. It doesn't have the wobble factor, but it makes up for it in tweakability and versatility. I'm still waiting for the new Fulltone ChoralFlange, but that thing has been held up for a while, now! Anyway, any great flanger would be a project I would try. I would even be willing to send you my Ross if you wanted to look at the innards.

madbean

The biggest problem with the Ross Flanger is that it utilizes a SAD1024. These are really hard to come by and quite expensive (~$40). It would need to be converted to an MN3007 format, similar to the A/DA Flanger project on diystompboxes.

I won't rule anything out..but it could be a very involved process to bring it to fruition. I do plan on offering a flanger project in a couple of months. Maybe we can touch base then and talk some more about the unit you have. I don't think there is a proper schematic of it (at least I didn't find one in five minutes of looking!)

PeterMorton

Ahh... that's too bad. It sounds like a pain and I know there are other flangers that are equal to the Ross. I'll be happy to offer input. I'm certainly no flanger expert!

db72

With stuff like the BYOC Flanger already out there (which is really nice), the only thing I can think of that would be cool is something like the TZF Paradox that Foxrox used to make. There aren't any 'thru-zero' flangers out there anymore.
-db-

fine diei est quod est

pandadandan

Quote from: db72 on May 20, 2010, 07:44:26 PM
With stuff like the BYOC Flanger already out there (which is really nice), the only thing I can think of that would be cool is something like the TZF Paradox that Foxrox used to make. There aren't any 'thru-zero' flangers out there anymore.

He stopped making them because of the insane complexity of making and calibrating them as I recall.  Scarcity of parts played a role in it, too. 

madbean

This seems like a really interesting flanger. Definitely reminded me of some old Cure tunes. Lot of interesting sounds to be had-->Homebrew Frost Bite Flange

culturejam

Sorry to dig up old shit, but I just got a red Ross Flanger in a trade. This thing sounds *awesome*. The board layout is also quite nice, and it seems like it would be relatively easy to do a straight copy of the artwork (and maybe tighten it up a bit).

The Reticon ship is definitely an issue, but I figured I'd only every build one of these anyway.  :)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jkokura

I looked it up, and apparently the old MXR Flanger is a direct clone of the Ross. You're right though, the SAD1024 is the hardest part of the circuit - 30 bucks from Smallbear. That alone takes me out, no matter how much I want one. I may as well buy the old MXR unit...

I think that I may put some research into a good, easy to build Flanger. I may come up with nothing however, I'll try though.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

modernage

Quote from: madbean on May 21, 2010, 03:53:53 AM
This seems like a really interesting flanger. Definitely reminded me of some old Cure tunes. Lot of interesting sounds to be had-->Homebrew Frost Bite Flange

Digging up an old thread only to say that THIS is my dream flanger. I'm not much of a flange guy, but this is the pedal that convinced me that I need to a flanger on my board... much like the Whetstone convinced me I need a phaser. Got the phaser, still need a flanger.  :(