News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sharkfin [some mods, demo included]

Started by Cortexturizer, December 06, 2013, 01:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcalla

Fantastic pedal and demo!!!  And your mods have me questioning my plans for the Sharkfin that's currently on my workbench.  Fortunately I haven't started drilling yet.  I have some Schoon Toon clean blend boards.  I'll assemble one & try it with my build.  Thanks for the detailed build report!!

Guitarmageddon

Fantastic! 8)
Clean blend is a great mod for this.
Love the demo.
I've built several of these, though not on a sharkfin board (yet) I've never managed to get any two of the S&H sections that sound quite the same, but kinda like that about them.
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

mjcyates

slimtriggers

8)

I love demos like this!  Thanks for taking the time to do that.

jimilee

I should start mine right away, this is fantastic!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

billstein

Great build and demo. Really makes me want to finish mine. Where did you source the 2 meg pot?

gordo

Just crazy good all around.  The demo was superb and the clincher (for me) is the astounding photography.  That clean build against the knackered looking window frame and the focus and color treatment just slays me.  The fact that the guts look astonishing and the sound is so cool is almost over the top.

Nicely done.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

bcalla

Quote from: billstein on December 07, 2013, 03:14:19 AM
Where did you source the 2 meg pot?
I just got one from Smallbear.  Nobody that I could find had right angle PC mounts, so I got a standard solder lug pot.

lincolnic

I don't have anything to say that hasn't been mentioned already - everything about this is great.

kothoma

Quote from: lincolnic on December 07, 2013, 03:48:33 AM
I don't have anything to say that hasn't been mentioned already - everything about this is great.

+1

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jprizz

My tablet's browser won't display the sound clip but if it sounds like it looks then it has to sound awesome! Great looking pedal and kudos for your mods too. Impressive.
-Josh

Cortexturizer

So many nice words from you gents, I thank all of thee, you guys

With so many compliments on the demo clip now I regret not paying a little more attention to the timing of the bars and everything [to be honest the demo is falling apart a little haha] but I really did it as quickly as I could. I did promise a clean blended sample and hold demo and I will deliver, just give me some more time.

Mr. Bean thank YOU in particular!
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

pryde

Not to derail the thread but what do you use/how do you record the drum track?

I have always wanted to do some demos with drums in there. Really delivers the context for the pedal to shine.

Cortexturizer

It's not a derail at all :)
Well, this is a very inconvenient program called Riffworks, I got it with my Line 6 UX1 interface. The program comes with all of these samples which sound great but the program itself is a pain to use but it's very lightweight and allows for quick idea capture. It is not intended for song generation, so I trouble everytime when I am not bothered to start Cubase and all the plugins...Riffworks is like Lego cubes instead you have well riffs, and then you do it, cube by cube, bar by bar, it's pretty hellish now when I think about it haha, but it's the fastest way to record any idea I've found...Had I any idea what I was going to record at the time I would have gone Cubase. But while I was recording this I just went riff by riff line by line, I was brainstorming untill I had no time anymore. You can hear all of this in the clip, the artificial concatenation of parts, incorrect endings, and the ending of the clip is like someone dropped down on the ground exausted, which is exactly what happened actually, when I finished it it was 4.30 a.m. I was a zombie by then. So you know, it was just like, a line of this, a line of the forums and chat, than another line on the demo, then a little noddling with the pedal, haha and so on. I guess I recorded it in 3 hours or so on and off.

I would really recommend Battery for doing beats of your own, although I can get good results with basically anything since I've been drum programming for years. The demo for the sHarkfin is all Riffworks of course, it's automated rhythms from the program.
If you like my music, try this one https://soundcloud.com/earthless/tbbf-do-the-wrong-thing-final , the production is aweful though.
I played bass, all the guitar parts and the drums are riffworks as well, you can hear how quickly they become boring in a song, though I tried to choose wisely for every part of this too long and unnecessary complicated composition...
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams