News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DeadRinger FCV Switch

Started by BuGG, December 07, 2013, 12:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuGG

When the DeadRinger is in Comp Cut mode are the Flat Mids components supposed to be active?

cylens

I'm upping this because I've built a Bassdrive following Harald Sabro's layout, which is based on madbean's Deadringer schematic.

There's something weird with the FCV switch...

Referring to this schematic (and assuming that I get it right...), diode clipping is engaged when B1 and B2 are shorted (pins 4 & 5, right?). My on-on-on switch is the same pinout as the one linked in the manual (Smallbear item 900), thus diode clipping is only engaged for one of the 3 modes...

Moreover, the "flat mid" mode (ie R13 & C9 are in the circuit) is on only when diode clipping is not engaged...

I can take care of the modifications myself but thought I should point it...

zedsnotdead

Hi guys!

I just built deadringer and i also found this weird. I just wired the switch like it's on the project pdf document, but didn't sound right.

cylens: a just commented on Sabro's website what I am about to post here, and I hope someone could verify this.

Check this image:

Refering to lug numbering like
1 4
2 5
3 6

then cylens suggested wiring is for "Type 1″ switch.

For "Type 2″ switches, like the one in the pdf document, I think this is the correct wiring:
MOS/SIL Sw2 – lug 2
(R8) – lug 3
(R13) – lug 5
(C10/R12) – lug 6

Now, this brings a new question... how is the original wired? look at this pic:

It's a on-on-on switch also, but how dows it get FM in the middle position?!?

zedsnotdead

Hi again,

re-wired the switches to operate like suggested above. I can verify everything works as it should now!

Still the question remains... how does Fulltone use the FM option in the middle position of 3pdt...!? :o

edit: sorry, just disregard this question, the answer is so obvious....

So one last remark, answering the author of this thread:
The suggested wiring if for those who want flat-mids OFF when in CompCut mode.
if you want flat-mids ON when in CompCut mode, you must wire like it's on the .pdf document.

(it's 04.am here, im a little tired but I think this is right)

zedsnotdead

Quote from: zedsnotdead on March 31, 2014, 05:10:29 AM
Hi again,

re-wired the switches to operate like suggested above. I can verify everything works as it should now!

Still the question remains... how does Fulltone use the FM option in the middle position of 3pdt...!? :o

edit: sorry, just disregard this question, the answer is so obvious....

So one last remark, answering the author of this thread:
The suggested wiring is for those who want flat-mids OFF when in CompCut mode.
if you want flat-mids ON when in CompCut mode, you must wire like it's on the .pdf document.

(it's 04.am here, im a little tired but I think this is right)

Willybomb

Just necroreviving this thread coz I've just finished a Deadringer...

What should I be hearing with the FCV switch?  The middle position is dirty and substantially louder than the outside two, as per the build doc, but one side is dirty and pretty quiet, and the other sounds... pretty much clean.  I'm not getting a lot of difference between the M/S switch either.  Engaging the boost in any position kicks the dirt right back in...

zedsnotdead

Well... those 2 switches are a pain and, IMHO, so badly designed...
FCV switch it's basically a mix of:
- tone shape control to give classic mids hump TS-style (vintage) or flat mids(FM)
- clipping removal control (comp cut) - and this is why I think it's badly design. it shoud be on the other switch (mosfet/si), using a spdt on-off-on, where "off" would be it. There's no point having this option on the FCV switch....

So comp cut will give you a huge boost in volume because diode/mosfet clipping gets removed off the signal path.
The other options (flat-mids, vintage) should affect only mids response (flat mids or humped mids).

Is your FCV switch on-(on)-on? Type 1 or type 2? (see diagrams on previous post)

Willybomb

It's on(on)on, and I think it's a type 2... at least, on the side it has "acronym - 2", but it's wired according to the V1 build doc

zedsnotdead

Quote from: Willybomb on October 05, 2014, 07:52:17 PM
It's on(on)on, and I think it's a type 2... at least, on the side it has "acronym - 2", but it's wired according to the V1 build doc

Can you check it with a multimeter? Sorry to insist, but it's important.

Willybomb

Yeah, I did that when I first saw this post while trying to work out what I should be hearing.  Pretty certain it's a type 2.

zedsnotdead

So for type 2, this is what happens (check schematic):

Switch up - Comp Cut position
A2+A3 / B2 + B3: FM mode ON / Clipping OFF

This will remove the clipping section, so whatever is chosen on sil/mosfet switch will have no effect (try it), which will give a volume boost and just opamp clipping. Also, mid freqs will tend to be flat.

Switch middle - FM position
A2 + A3 / B2 + B1: FM mode ON / Clipping ON

Signal will be clipped by whatever you choose on sil/mosfet switch, so you will notice a volume drop compared to switch in up position.
FM mode still ON...

Switch down - Vintage Position
A2 + A1 / B2 + B1: FM mode OFF / Clipping ON

This will give a mid frequencies hump, like a TS-style tone.
Clipping ON means that you will not hear almost any difference in gain/volume between this position and middle position, just mid frequencies hump (which could sound like a slight volume/gain hump).

BTW, Boost Switch will increase gain, and therefore you will also notice some volume increase depending on pot position.

I think I got it right, but please check it.

Willybomb

My apologies, just checked it on the multimeter - it's a type 1, and I've wired it according to the madbean build doc, so presuming everything is wired correctly - is what I'm hearing what I'm supposed to be hearing?

zedsnotdead

if its type 1 then you need to make some changes to the wiring.
Ill get back to you in a second...

Edit:

So you have to connect the wire that comes from:
- MOS/SIL middle lug to A2
- R8 to A1
- R13 to B2
- C10 to B3

but now you have to turn the switch 180º to have the modes on same position of type 2.

Willybomb

Thanks, that's worked brilliantly.  I now have a loud no diode/mosfet clipping, and two other settings that are a similar volume and dirt on the FCV switch, unlike before.

The boost isn't as pronounced anymore either.

Thanks again.

zedsnotdead

Yeah, this switch is a pain to get it right sometimes.
No need to thank me, i'm glad I could help. ;)