News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I hate boxing these things

Started by playpunk, December 08, 2013, 12:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

playpunk

So I've had a Kingslayer built and working for acouple of months. I tried to build a buffered bypass version, and I couldn't get the buffer to work. I said "screw it" and decided to box it up true bypass today.

I ordered some Tayda enclosed jacks, and tried to use those in my build.

I put the pedal into a 1590b with just enough room at the top. Drill the holes, put it in, wire it up. Those tayda jacks are kinda sorta impossible to figure out, but I looked and looked and figured that I got it wired right.

Wire the switch, plug it in... Horrible ground noise only.

Take it out, look at the jacks again. Still can't figure how anything different would work.

Reflow solder. Same stuff. Pull out terrible tayda jacks, put it nice normal visible open jacks in, resolder, done.

Plug it in, turn it on, full on Kloney goodness. Turn it off - no noise. Mother of pearl.

Reflow all solder on switch... look over effect to see if something has grounded out... etc. Wiring is correct. Mother of pearl.

Repeat that process 2x. Finally get out the multimeter, and start checking the switch for continuity. The bottom right solder lug is the culprit. Mother of pearl.

Pull switch, re-wire, install and wire in effect and jacks again and we are done.

And that's how I spent my Saturday afternoon.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer