News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Power Supply for Timefactor and Space

Started by tenwatt, December 09, 2013, 03:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenwatt

I'd like to build something that I could get power from my Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Plus 2 and from this new build have the correct current/power to power a Eventide Timefactor and Space.  Who is up to the challenge to design this for me?
Not too bright....

rullywowr

While a cool idea, this really isn't feasible due to the fact that each Eventide unit needs 400-500mA @ 9VDC.  Most of the outputs on the pedal power 2 have 100 mA with outputs 5-6 having 250mA.  It is possible to use both outputs 5-6 together in parallel to supply power to one of your pedals but certainly not both.  This would also tie up both the high current outputs (5-6).

It would be a lot more robust and simpler (cheaper) to just get a 1A (or better) power supply and use that to power both your units with a custom barrel plug harness.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

tenwatt

So there's not some sort of charge pump that could be built to put in line?
Not too bright....

rullywowr

A charge pump helps boost voltage at expense of current.  You can't get something from nothing so if the current isn't already there (which it isn't)...you won't be adding any. 

You need just under 1A of power just to run both pedals...excluding the rest of pedals you plan on hooking up to the PP2....that's about maxing out the PP2.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

stecykmi

in addition to being unfeasible, it's also one of the worst trade-offs you could do as the eventide probably has fairly heavy duty internal power supply that includes a lot of filtering on the analog section to prevent noise, making the PP2 fairly redundant as a low noise (and high cost) power supply.

my advice: buy a power bar and plug that into the daisy-chained outlet on the back. use the stock power supplies with that.

tenwatt

Quote from: stecykmi on December 09, 2013, 11:11:44 PM
in addition to being unfeasible, it's also one of the worst trade-offs you could do as the eventide probably has fairly heavy duty internal power supply that includes a lot of filtering on the analog section to prevent noise, making the PP2 fairly redundant as a low noise (and high cost) power supply.

my advice: buy a power bar and plug that into the daisy-chained outlet on the back. use the stock power supplies with that.
This is what I currently do.  It's VERY bulk and time consuming to pack and set up.  I think I'm going to try a Cioks DC10.
Not too bright....