News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How do I keep components neat when I solder

Started by MikeM, December 10, 2013, 04:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

I did the "smaller to bigger then flip" component approach and still do for the most part but went to the poster putty and love it. Wonder why I went so long without.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: alanp on January 12, 2014, 08:17:58 PM
I bend leads for resistors, diodes, capacitors, LED's and LDR's (with blu-tac for the LDRs to get the right height), and use blu-tac for sockets.

Practice'll get you there, plus start with the short components (resistors and diodes), then the higher ones (box caps), and so on.

This is what I do also. Bending the leads on most components works for me. I use the the tack for sockets. It took a little while to get things clean but it will come with time. Just keep building.

timbo_93631

Quote from: jkokura on December 10, 2013, 08:58:51 AM
...I solder in just one leg of each componant, then I flip it, make sure the parts are in nice and flat, straight and even. If/when they are, I flip it back and solder the other sides...
...I work from 'shortest' to 'tallest', which really helps with my method. It's way easy to load in all the resistors and keep the board lying flat on my desk to solder in those parts. Really helps when you get up over 40 resistors, like in a CE-2 clone or the like. Diodes are next, followed by SIP sockets and trim pots. next are the DIP sockets 'cause they're a little taller. Next comes short box caps, followed by taller box caps. I put the smallest types of caps in next, and bend the leads a bit to get them to stay. Electros are next, then usually I'm on to the pots and testing...

This is my method as well.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

DutchMF

Quote from: das234 on January 12, 2014, 07:56:07 PM
Good ideas out there.  I haven't heard anyone say tape yet, so... tape.  For resistors, diodes and flat stuff, I pop 'em in and put a piece of blue masking tape to hold them (kind of like the blue putty does but I haven't used putty yet.)  Like others have said, I always solder one leg to tack the part in then make sure it's in place properly before soldering the other leg(s) and finally I reflow the first leg to make sure it's in right.

Tape for me as well, I found a kind that doesn't leave any residue when applied, works like a dream!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

pickdropper

If I am feeling really OCD, I hold the component in place and tack one side down with the soldering iron.  I then solder the other side and then properly solder the other side that just had a little bit of solder tacking it in place.

The downside is that some parts (metal film resistors mostly) get hot and holding them isn't always fun.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Gledison

Does someone knows how this blue tack its called in Geramany?
:P
cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

muddyfox

I'm using this one as it's the only one available locally
http://www.uhu.com/produkte/klebepads/detail/uhu-patafix-homedecokraeftige-klebepads.html?cHash=dec4c87dc429c1ab36c3b323fb942ac2&step=0

it is a bit harder (and also not blue  ::) ) than what I've seen in bluetack vids but it works just the same. It's just not as pliable. I'm guessing the "regular" kind might be softer but again, none to be had around here.

davent

It's sold for hanging pictures and posters, first came across it in grade school, teachers used to love and the kids would try to steal it, to make it soft and sticky you need to stretch it out put it back together stretch, knead and it will get soft. You might try an office supply store or teacher supply store as they'd be the main user for that type of product.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

MikeM

We call it prestik here.

Here's my latest attempt

m-Kresol

I read/heard about one neat trick: Just put in eg. all your resistors (so all components of one size), put some rubber foam or something equivalent on top, fix it with a peg. When you turn the pcb around nothing should move, but because of the soft surface there won't be any damage.

I myself just put on a few parts close to each other, turn around and solder. Normally that works without issues. If any parts move you can still adjust it a little by reheating the joint
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

muddyfox

Quote from: muddyfox on January 25, 2014, 01:22:10 PM
I'm using this one as it's the only one available locally
http://www.uhu.com/produkte/klebepads/detail/uhu-patafix-homedecokraeftige-klebepads.html?cHash=dec4c87dc429c1ab36c3b323fb942ac2&step=0

it is a bit harder (and also not blue  ::) ) than what I've seen in bluetack vids but it works just the same. It's just not as pliable. I'm guessing the "regular" kind might be softer but again, none to be had around here.

Just to follow up on this, I finally managed to get my hands on some of this, it's not designated as "strong" like the other one and is definitely a lot more pliable.
Still not blue, though.  ;D

http://www.ozdilekteyim.com/content/images/thumbs/uhu_patafix_sari_61784.jpeg

hylandren

Wow, talk about dense! I use blue putty every day in my line of work (not electronics) and had never though to use it to hold components in place for soldering.

Herein the states it is called Funtack. You can get it Home Depot, Lowe's True Value, etc.
The blue holds considerably better than the white, especially after it has been use a little, and the oils from your hands get on it.

muddyfox

Which is why the white might work better for our purposes? It's not supposed to stick (like a poster to a wall) but to hold components in place and be easily removed afterwards?
I've done the foam/cardboard, I've done the tape and now that I've done the bluetack I don't think I'll ever go back. Mad propz to Paul for bringing this to my attention in that J201 video. YMMV.

hylandren

I tried the blue last night and it worked like a champ.
I didn't have any of the white around to try, since it performs so poorly in my work situations: Doesn't hold as well, requires considerable more pressure to get it to stick (which might damage a fragile component) and sometimes seems to leave a bit of residue.
No, the blue is the way to go, imho. Like I said before, it works best after its been used a bit.

ian_guga

Quote from: Gledison on January 25, 2014, 12:27:02 PM
Does someone knows how this blue tack its called in Geramany?
:P
cheers

blu tack... I get mine from aldi. :)
my lab loves fuzz