News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Smallbear Alpha 3PDT?

Started by Scruffie, December 15, 2013, 01:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scruffie

Don't usually spend cash on nicer parts but building a TB MKII with a fancy enclosure etc and want it to be as sturdy as can be so what's the opinion on these switches? Are they worth it over a standard cheapy blue 3PDT?

How does the action compare to the Alpha DPDTs?
Works at Lectric-FX

croquet hoop

The action is naturally stiffer than the DPDT, but it's still largely better than the cheap blue 3PDT. To me the quality warrants the price.

midwayfair

Now that they're $5, I'm much more inclined to get them after my current box from BLMS runs out. When they were $9, the difference in quality wasn't IMO worth the cost difference. The epoxy is tougher, the lugs seem more secure even if you do manage to melt it, and they just seem to actuate better. But if you don't ever need to de- and resolder the footswitch, the first two won't matter; and if you're stomping on the switch in a loud environment the second might not either.

But the Alpha DPDTs and Josh's optical bypass has really spoiled me ... they're so nice that now I'm really only planning on using the 3PDTs for LFO builds with the rate LED wired through the switch.

Scruffie

Quote from: midwayfair on December 15, 2013, 08:58:47 AM
Now that they're $5, I'm much more inclined to get them after my current box from BLMS runs out. When they were $9, the difference in quality wasn't IMO worth the cost difference. The epoxy is tougher, the lugs seem more secure even if you do manage to melt it, and they just seem to actuate better. But if you don't ever need to de- and resolder the footswitch, the first two won't matter; and if you're stomping on the switch in a loud environment the second might not either.

But the Alpha DPDTs and Josh's optical bypass has really spoiled me ... they're so nice that now I'm really only planning on using the 3PDTs for LFO builds with the rate LED wired through the switch.
I didn't know they were $9 before.

I don't think i'll have room for any kind of bypass board as i'm getting a battery in there too, want it to be neat and tidy.

It sounds like they're worth going for over a standard blue 3PDT though so i'll stick one in my next SB order, thanks guys.
Works at Lectric-FX

playpunk

"my legend grows" - playpunk

gtr2

I bought one to try out.  They seem to be on par with the old CLIFF 3PDT's
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer