News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Box rocker

Started by rullywowr, December 16, 2013, 03:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

So after using my old test rig for a while, I thought it would be cool to have a new box which is easy to use as well as can do two effects simultaneously. Great for testing boosts into overdrives and delays with other effects. I like the "no tools" needed approach to hooking up pedals, my old box had screw terminals which were cumbersome.

Here is a pic of what I got, I may powdercoat it later but for now I love the simplicity.  Two LEDs, two 3pdt toggles, effect one runs into effect two.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

bcalla

rullywowr

Thanks man!  Here are some gut shots: All point to point hand wired for that vintage toan.

alanp

8)

Those spring terminals are the mutts nuts. My test box is set up with those.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

culturejam

Great build!

I did one sort of like that a while back, but it only had one set of connections. Great thinking adding another set to open up possibilities. For guys that spend most of their build time populating/testing prototype PCBs, that makes a lot of sense.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

rullywowr

Thanks guys!  Not to pretty at the moment but it's really a utilitarian box that works great.  I should have done this a long time ago.  Those screw terminals on the old box were such a PITA to use when swapping other boards. 

I love testing boosts with ODs and hearing high gain distortions like the upper decker into a sea urchin...instant 80's lead tone! (as seen in the pic).  Also great for checking how buffers will play with other boards and on and on. 

croquet hoop

Quote from: rullywowr on December 16, 2013, 03:24:34 PMSo after using my old test rig for a while, I thought it would be cool to have a new box which is easy to use as well as can do two effects simultaneously. Great for testing boosts into overdrives and delays with other effects.

This is a great idea, and very well executed! I love the "point to point for vintage toan" on the CLR  ;D

Are these 3PDT toggles from tayda? I got two some time ago and managed to fry both, I found them really unforgiving (as all of their toggle switches). Then I thought "hey, they're toggles switches, I do not need a LED to see what position they're in!"...

rullywowr

Thanks!  Yep, those are Tayda 3PDT toggles I have had kicking around for quite some time.  They seemed to hold up well with soldering @ 740F and even desoldering them a few times to correct some mistakes  :o also at 740F with my Hakko desoldering iron.  Was kind of tricky wiring them so the toggle was up=on...I had to refer to the standard wiring diagram upside down.   :)  I should also replace that second red wire I nicked the insulation on with the iron but who's counting?   :)

I thought about using 3PDT stomps but then reconsidered as I wouldn't ever put a bare pcb on the floor and stomp on it with my other pedals.  Usually, it's on my bench while I am tweaking it therefore the toggles are easier to use.  I think I may powdercoat it and attach it to a cutting board or similar - just to have a little more weight and a place for the PCBs to rest on.