News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ehx make klones for $68

Started by LaceSensor, December 17, 2013, 12:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

lars

You beat me to the post! I just logged in to start a topic on this, but I'm glad you did. It's disturbing to think that a company like EHX, which has invented so many great and unique effects, is now apparently looking at the DIY market and making clones of other great pedals? What's going to be next? I think EHX is slowly turning into Behringer....

LaceSensor

So it's ok for every noob and his wife to make (modded) big muff clones, but soon as ehx blows the doors off one of the dumbest hype trains with an affordable mass produced copy it's not ok? I might get one just for the hell of it.

I like how they made the nano big muffs too, which protects their ip somewhat for the only advantage many muff clones had which was smaller size enclosures....

Looking forward to the gut shots, personally

rullywowr

I admit that ehx is seeing a market and filling the need.  This of course will put a damper on the klone market, but just slightly. People will still pay for through-hole klones which the new ehx klone obviously is not.  Tube screamers are still selling even though there are a bazillion copies out there.

Unlike Behringer, I have to stick up for ehx because they actually continue to raise the bar by making cool new effects: (pog, cathedral, freeze, come to mind) as well as pay homage to the vintage ones by making them smaller (nano muff, dmm with tap, mini amp etc). 

When ehx begins to only copy others...then they will be the next Behringer.  Ehx has really made a name for themselves and many effects we all love and live to build.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

raulduke

Hell why not.

Looks like the Klon has no chance of being in production again so fair play to them.

Don't see why ehx have any less of a right to make klones than anyone else...

LaceSensor

Quote from: rullywowr on December 17, 2013, 12:40:18 AM
I admit that ehx is seeing a market and filling the need.  This of course will put a damper on the klone market, but just slightly. People will still pay for through-hole klones which the new ehx klone obviously is not

People are silly, then. If it's the same circuit as the original or even the KTR it's a bargain regardless of through hole.

Finnegan missed a trick completely. He should just kept making them at $300 in the pimp gold horse case....

To be honest if this (slightly cynical but I'm ok with it) move by ehx funds new developments along the line of the pog, freeze etc then it's definitely "A Good Thing" (TM)

icecycle66

EHX is my favorite Big Pedal Inc.

jimilee

Personally, I wouldn't want my business to rely on broke ass musicians. Get what you can where you can. If that means selling out or whatever just to keep your business afloat because you're damn near 80 and starting over is not an option.....helllooooo behringer!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

icecycle66

I might get one just for the hell of it.

At that price, I'll get half a dozen and hand them out at parties.

RobA

If anyone gets a pass on the question of the morality of cloning, it's EHX.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

culturejam

Quote from: RobA on December 17, 2013, 01:10:01 AM
If anyone gets a pass on the question of the morality of cloning, it's EHX.

Amen! EHX and ProCo and Ibanez/Maxon, for sure.

People just don't like it when a "big" company "rips off" a small company. When it's the small guy doing the same, they call that a "faithful recreation".  8)

If there is a vacuum in the market, fill it if you can (and if you want to). Especially if somebody else drops the ball in the dumbest and most public way possible. Sweep the leg!

It used to be that a pedal company was either an innovator or a duplicator. Looks like EHX is broadening their scope from just the form to include that latter as well. And why not? Prove yourself with innovation, then backfill with duplication.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

rullywowr

Quote from: LaceSensor on December 17, 2013, 12:44:39 AM
Quote from: rullywowr on December 17, 2013, 12:40:18 AM
I admit that ehx is seeing a market and filling the need.  This of course will put a damper on the klone market, but just slightly. People will still pay for through-hole klones which the new ehx klone obviously is not

People are silly, then. If it's the same circuit as the original or even the KTR it's a bargain regardless of through hole.

People ARE silly!  Same people who pay hundreds of bucks for an iec cable that powers their hifi stereo.  Or all that cork sniffing that goes on at TGP or gear slutz.  When there is a market, there will be someone ready to sell to it.   :)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

culturejam

I love how EHX touts the "boosted power rails" in the marketing copy. Brilliant!  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

atreidesheir

This is only good news if you love a great product delivered at a fair price.  actually a really attractive price.  really really attractive price.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

Scruffie

Works at Lectric-FX