News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ehx make klones for $68

Started by LaceSensor, December 16, 2013, 04:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Even for a product produced by a major manufacturer, that is amazingly low priced.

My guess is that there will still be a small market for some of the better made boutique Klone types out there, but this will probably phase out a lot of the poorly built ones that people only bought because they were the cheapest option.

And if it kills them all and takes over the market, oh well.  Bill doesn't seem to be making them anymore and all of Kloners don't really have much claim on the design.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

culturejam

Quote from: pickdropper on December 16, 2013, 07:41:58 PM
My guess is that there will still be a small market for some of the better made boutique Klone types out there, but this will probably phase out a lot of the poorly built ones that people only bought because they were the cheapest option.

Definitely there will still be a market for "handmade klones". No doubt about that. ;)

And I would *hope* that the inconsistent/shitty small shops would be squashed by this, but alas, I do think a few of them will march on with their koolaid-drinking fanboys.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

lars

My point is that EHX should stick to reissues of their own stuff that haven't been done yet. Where is the Bad Stone, the Attack Decay, the Deluxe Big Muff? Instead we recently got a tube screamer knock off and a klon? The klon has always been a "boutique" pedal for a small, niche market. I just dont see the target market, regardless of the price point. I'm out...
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

pedalman

Quote from: icecycle66 on December 16, 2013, 05:07:29 PM
I might get one just for the hell of it.

At that price, I'll get half a dozen and hand them out at parties.

And one for you, and you, and you, here you go, and you, wait a minute who let you in here with green socks? no pedal for you. lol
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

midwayfair

Am I the only one amused that EHX chose to put the first major manufactured clone of the Centaur in a 1590B?

croquet hoop

I was more amused by the fact they call "nano" a pedal (big muff) in a 1590B enclosure  ;D

midwayfair

Oh. Also, everyone should remember two things:

1) EHX has implied that they cooked up something with the same principals as the clone and with the same control layout.

2) EHX has never, to my knowledge, cloned another pedal. It's just not their M.O.

My money is on 18V/0V operation, silicon diodes, clean blend, active treble, and buffered bypass, and not the same parts values with less filtering in general. It's released on Dec. 30 -- I expect FSB will have it traced by New Year's Eve.

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on December 17, 2013, 06:11:52 AM
Oh. Also, everyone should remember two things:

1) EHX has implied that they cooked up something with the same principals as the clone and with the same control layout.

2) EHX has never, to my knowledge, cloned another pedal. It's just not their M.O.

My money is on 18V/0V operation, silicon diodes, clean blend, active treble, and buffered bypass, and not the same parts values with less filtering in general. It's released on Dec. 30 -- I expect FSB will have it traced by New Year's Eve.

Those are all very reasonable guesses.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

culturejam

I think you're right, Jon. I doubt they would do a straight clone. They've got actual engineers, so they likely improved it.  ;D (that's blasphemy, I know!)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

raulduke

Quote from: culturejam on December 17, 2013, 06:57:51 AM
I think you're right, Jon. I doubt they would do a straight clone. They've got actual engineers, so they likely improved it.  ;D (that's blasphemy, I know!)

Exactly.

They'll have cloned the King Slayer instead  ;)!

rullywowr

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

selfdestroyer

Quote from: midwayfair on December 17, 2013, 06:11:52 AM

Agreed.

jubal81

There'll still be plenty of space leftover for Klones. We're talking about people (guitarists) who will pay $120 for film caps wrapped in bumblebee paper. They're going to demand a 1:1 Klone with through-hole parts and diodes with mystique.

Now that the world finally has a 'poor-man's' klone, they'll be dogging them compared to 'real' klones, which is ironically hilarious on several levels.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

rullywowr

EVERYBODY knows that SMD components don't have the same toan characteristics as through hole  ::)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

selfdestroyer

Quote from: rullywowr on December 17, 2013, 11:57:24 AM
EVERYBODY knows that SMD components don't have the same toan characteristics as through hole  ::)

Everyone knows that Unicorn Tears only come in 5mm so this will not sound as good as the original. too bad also. lol