News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Marshall JCM 2000

Started by pedalman, December 16, 2013, 11:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedalman

Went in to a pawn shop today to test drive a Pro Jr. All of a sudden a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401 comes out on the sales floor. I thought no way is this thing in my price range. Started talking to the guy and he said it had a couple of bad tubes in it. Said I could have it for $200 After a little talking and haggling I walked out with it for $125 ! Tube shopping time  : )
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

DutchMF

Deal of the century!!! Enjoy  :D

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

rullywowr

Awesome find!  Rock it out.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

Yeah, those are nice amps.  Great score.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

gordo

I've replaced bridge rectifiers on those amps from time to time.  The combos tend to run pretty hot.  I came up with an easy fix if you're interested.  Will see if I can dig up my notes and a few photos.  Great amps!
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

slimtriggers

Why can't I ever find deals like this?!  Nice score!

jubal81

Quote from: slimtriggers on December 17, 2013, 04:25:59 PM
Why can't I ever find deals like this?!  Nice score!

This. Exactly This. Big Grats, bud!
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

sirbergersworth

"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand, says, "Don't you see?"
-Robert Hunter

atreidesheir

Merry Xmas.

Everybody gets one.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

pedalman

Quote from: gordo on December 17, 2013, 03:22:31 PM
I've replaced bridge rectifiers on those amps from time to time.  The combos tend to run pretty hot.  I came up with an easy fix if you're interested.  Will see if I can dig up my notes and a few photos.  Great amps!

I was told to bias the tubes a tad lower than specs and place a small fan in the back
Any info you have would be cool
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

gordo

Finally found the photos... This is a DSL 201 but same issue. The culprit is the fact that in the combos the tubes pour heat back up thru the circuit board. Since the bridge rectifier runs a little warm anyway it exaggerates the problem. This photo shows the original rectifier. www.gordomusic.com/Madbean/DSL01.JPG

This next photo shows the replaced rectifier with a heat sink glued on.  I picked this up at MCM and normally it would have to be tied down but the adhesive backing is good and since its not hanging upside down it hasn't been an issue.  Also note that the rectifier is slightly elevated above the board to get a bit of air around it. You can't quite see it in the photo but the board under the rectifier is dark brown.www.gordomusic.com/Madbean/DSL02.JPG

This shows the muffin fan (also from MCM) bolted to the back plate.  It runs on line voltage and I had intended to put it on a switch but its a really well made ball bearing affair and runs so quiet (and at a relatively low speed) that it was unnecessary.www.gordomusic.com/Madbean/DSL03.JPG

Back panel replaced.  The idea here was not to get a whole lot of air on the tubes (this amp sees both live and studio use), but just get ANY air moving to keep it from going straight up.  The mod was done in 2011 and it's been rode hard and put away wet for about 18 months now.  Customer was thrilled.www.gordomusic.com/Madbean/DSL04.JPG
Gordy Power

gordo

Oops, those should have showed photos rather than links.  Links work though... :D
Gordy Power

junkemail86

Dsl401 is my main amp.  It needed the rectifier fix, but it's been running and sounding great since.  IIRC, the post 2003 models fixed the overheating issue.

gtr2

Pics or it didn't happen ;) haha

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer