News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

small bear out of dual-gang 100kB's...where else?

Started by B_of_H, March 03, 2011, 03:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B_of_H

I can't find any 16mm ones at mouser (granted I suck at mouser'ing)

mammoth: nope
PedalPartsPlus: nope
allied elec: can't find anything like it

any suggestions?

bigmufffuzzwizz

tayda electronics and futurlec both have them. tayda ships really fast and i've only heard bad stuff in this department about futurlec but i have yet to form my own opinion.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

B_of_H

thanks,

looks like the both only have short split shaft pc mount types?  will my knobs fit on those?

what a PITA.   :(

B_of_H

I think i'm just going to order a 50kB instead...i've never turned the gain pot much over 50% on mine anyway.  I'm assuming though that this gain pot kinda works like a tube screamer?

lower value = less gain/dirt?

they've also got 100kA and 250kB.  Would the 50kB be my best bet here?

jkokura

If you don't use the gain up much, the 100ka might work well for you. It will bunch a lot of the gain at the end of the circuit.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

B_of_H

Quote from: jkokura on March 03, 2011, 04:59:00 PM
If you don't use the gain up much, the 100ka might work well for you. It will bunch a lot of the gain at the end of the circuit.

Jacob

perfect.  thanks.

Liam

Is this for a Sunking?  I tried a dual-gang 100k audio taper first time round, and they're not great for this.  The effect hasn't got loads and loads of gain, so you end up operating in a part of the pot range where it's really sensitive a lot of the time.  I'd suggest holding out for a 100k dual-gang linear.

Liam

B_of_H

Quote from: Liam on March 03, 2011, 08:10:00 PM
Is this for a Sunking?  I tried a dual-gang 100k audio taper first time round, and they're not great for this.  The effect hasn't got loads and loads of gain, so you end up operating in a part of the pot range where it's really sensitive a lot of the time.  I'd suggest holding out for a 100k dual-gang linear.

Liam

good to know, yes this is for a sunking but I am building out two right now.  One is a clean booster and the other is going to be used as an overdrive.  I'll find another use for the dual ganged pot i'm sure. 

CRBMoA

+1

I handled a repair that had the same issue, I believe.

Maybe, since the sunking is such a popular board around these parts, we could swing a group buy (I do NOT have time to pull it off).

Someone find who has the best cheap and slow supply of that pot, and we order 20 or 30 of them.

Note to you up and comers..........

Being the only kid on your block with a highly sought after part is a GREAT way to get stock.

I have made at least three times as many trades for parts as outright orders.

Think about it.................

cb

Liam

I've got a few 100k Dual-Gang Linears, but they are 24 mm, and I'm in the UK.  If they might be of use, let me know, I'll put some in the post.  Seems to be less than a week to the USA at the moment.

Liam

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: CRBMoA on March 03, 2011, 09:12:30 PM
+1
Maybe, since the sunking is such a popular board around these parts, we could swing a group buy (I do NOT have time to pull it off).

I'm for it!! I'd buy some.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Ang3lus

i got one from mammoth the other time, had great experience with them, had 3 orders so far.

madbean