News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

KoT Diodes - source located (maybe)

Started by gjcamann, December 22, 2013, 02:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gjcamann

I'm looking into ordering some KoT diodes (the elusive MA856 and 1S1588) from an obsolete component dealer. They usually want some high quantity with this stuff (several 100's), and the prices get better with volume. I suspect the M856's will be in the $2-4 range and the 1S1588's will be in the $1 range.
Anyones interested in a big quantity of these (50+)?
If I end up with a surplus i'll probably offer these for sale in single quantities or complete sets for KoTs. Any interest in this?
I'll do my best to get enough for everyone.
(I already posted this at DIY stompboxes... and there wasn't much interest.)

croquet hoop

I am not sure why a dealer of elusive, obsolete parts would encourage you to buy hundreds of them at a decreasing price (which is the practise for current production parts). Getting those old diodes could be cool, but I'd rather be sure I will not end up with overpaid 1n4148/914's in a fancy package.

(besides, is there a functional/hearable difference between a MA856 or 1S1588 and a generic si diode?)

muddyfox

I don't need many but I'd be game for a set or three?

midwayfair

Quote from: croquet hoop on December 22, 2013, 02:37:55 PM
(besides, is there a functional/hearable difference between a MA856 or 1S1588 and a generic si diode?)

1S1588 are basically the Japanese part number for 1N4148 -- that is, it's a generic silicon diode that is the equivalent of most generic silicon diodes.

The MA856 actually is a little special in that its Fv is closer to .8V, which can make a small difference. The BAS45A is a Fv match for the ones I have here, but that one's obsolete now, too. Otherwise they're silicon diodes, and you can stick a schottky in series with a 4001 to get to the same Fv.

PimpMyTone

2 - 4 $ for a diode is something you will probably regret .
Simon

gjcamann

Quote from: croquet hoop on December 22, 2013, 02:37:55 PM
I am not sure why a dealer of elusive, obsolete parts would encourage you to buy hundreds of them at a decreasing price (which is the practise for current production parts). Getting those old diodes could be cool, but I'd rather be sure I will not end up with overpaid 1n4148/914's in a fancy package.

We actually buy from these people at work to support antique equipment for the air force. It's weird, I think it has something to do with lot sizes, sales quotas and commissions. They seem to be more motivated to just sell out of something than to have the last 10 ant penises in existence.  But the product is most definitely genuine.

rullywowr

Quote from: PimpMyTone on December 22, 2013, 08:00:10 PM
2 - 4 $ for a diode is something you will probably regret .

eeek!  For that price maybe it will come with a tub of this:

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!