News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

LED wiring for snack shack?

Started by EndlessOcean, March 05, 2011, 09:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EndlessOcean

OK... I'm sooo close to finishing this pedal and finding out it doesn't work and I'd really like ot add the LED since there's a hole in the enclosure for it.

I read in another thread about attaching a 4k7 resistor to the long lead, then running a wire to the DC jack and running another wire to the empty lug of the switch (this was for a Kronk build).

I have no empty lugs, but I do have the LED, bezel, wire and a 4k7 resistor and the holes on the PCB (long leg in the square?) and would really like to have the added fun of a pink light. So.. what goes where?

I DID do a search but couldn't find anything related to this specific build.

All help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks guys,

tez

madbean

Tez,

I'm a  little confused about your post. The Snack Shack has all the LED circuitry on the board. You can wire up the two leads from an LED to the square and round pads (in this case, the flat side of the LED gets soldered to the square pad) and then connect a wire from the SW pad to the top left lug of your 3PDT switch.

EndlessOcean

I would like to thank you for your patience and apologize for being rather dense an matters electrical.

long leg = square socket?

EndlessOcean

ah. so its wired up. I've gone from not getting it to work to not getting it to work correctly... so this is some kind of progress.

The LED is now always on, so at least the DC is wired ok.

I push the button and the signal completely dies. I push again to turn the effect off and my signal then gets through and the box is totally bypassed.

Oops: one more thing. I touched the lugs of the pot. The middle one makes a buzz when contacted, left one does not, right one does but it's quieter than the centre lug. Not sure if that helps but I don't have a multi-meter to test the circuit, so I just poke it.

irmcdermott

Some pictures might help us help you. Make sure your switch wiring is totally correct. If you connected the LED right to the board and it's always on, then my guess is power is getting to the board. Check for solder bridges, something may be shorting to ground. Check for cold solder joints.

If the LED never turns off, my guess is you have it wired to the switch wrong.

madbean

Somehow your LED is staying connected to ground all the time. If you are using the wiring diagram in the SS documentation, this should not happen.

For the LED, the longer leg is positive. If you are using a 5mm LED, look at the casing. One side of it will be flat, and one side round. It is the flat side (negative) which connects to the square pad on this board. That is also connected to the switch via the SW pad.

No effect when toggling on the effect could be a separate issue. Make sure you have the In and Out on the board wired to the correct lugs on your 3PDT first.

EndlessOcean

thanks for the reply :)

the LED is wired right, theres an orange wire going from SW to lug 1.

my soldering is shitty due to an old iron with a huge tip and lack of experience on my part but there's nothing obvious that stands out as being a bridge, and if there was I'm not sure I'd be able to remove it.

Would a cold solder joint be make or break or make a board inoperable?

I took it out of the enclosure to test the grounding and had the pot, switch, jacks and board all laid out. I plugged it on and it just buzzed and the LED didn't even turn on which confuses me even more. IT worked in the box, but not outside of it.

I wired the switch like on the datasheet, albeit rather unattractively. I can't see any bridges or anything... I see a lot of crappy soldering but not a bridge between lugs or anything.

Can I email you some pics to spare my shame?

EndlessOcean

so I pulled it out of the trash and looked at everything under a magnifying glass.

The switch looks ok to me. Not perfect. It's ugly but I can deal with that on my first build.

The board is kinda ugly, blotchy, some solder is running wild so I'm going to remove the solder from the back, order some new caps and trannys and try it again with a focus on neatening it up. If it still doesn't work then at least I gave it a shot, but if that fails then I might need to order a new board. I'm hoping that isn't the outcome but we shall see.