Triple Wretch

Started by billstein, December 28, 2013, 08:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Govmnt_Lacky

@bill

Could you give a step-by-step of your faceplate creation? I just dont grasp how you were able to etch and then paint over with black and STILL keep the fine detail around the lettering.

Can you break it down for us dense folks?  :P

BRILLIANT work BTW...  ;)

EDIT: OR... is that Black FR4?

rullywowr

I am 98% sure it's black FR-4 and creative use of "Liquid Tin". Then clear coated. I do the same and it comes out really well, just like etching a PCB.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

billstein

Quote from: rullywowr on December 30, 2013, 07:34:36 AM
I am 98% sure it's black FR-4 and creative use of "Liquid Tin". Then clear coated. I do the same and it comes out really well, just like etching a PCB.

That's right. It's black FR-4 then I use Blue Painters tape to mask off what I don't want tinned. Finish it off with some clear coat.

A couple other examples.

I just finished a Wampler Pinnacle clone on vero. Waiting for the stomp switches.

My first attempt at using spot tinning.

billstein

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 30, 2013, 07:00:35 AM

Could you give a step-by-step of your faceplate creation? I just dont grasp how you were able to etch and then paint over with black and STILL keep the fine detail around the lettering.

I'm starting to get pretty comfortable with etching. I have a couple more ideas to try and get a bit more creativity out of it. Let me try these first and then I'll attempt a pictorial. It would be great to be able to give something back to the community here.

Govmnt_Lacky

Thanks bill...

I ask because I like the faceplate idea but I am absolutely HORRIBLE at etching aluminum. On the other hand, I have ZERO problems with doing transfers and etching on FR4. Would like to start using it to do some box labeling after seeing this thread!  ;D

... and I happen to have some MG Chemicals liquid tin that is begging to be used!  ;)

billstein

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 31, 2013, 04:40:15 AM
Thanks bill...

I ask because I like the faceplate idea but I am absolutely HORRIBLE at etching aluminum. On the other hand, I have ZERO problems with doing transfers and etching on FR4. Would like to start using it to do some box labeling after seeing this thread!  ;D

... and I happen to have some MG Chemicals liquid tin that is begging to be used!  ;)

I've been wanting to try etching aluminum sheets. Eventually I'll  pick some up and give it a shot.

stevie1556

Beautiful etch! Great build!

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!