News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zygote

Started by dwstanford, March 06, 2011, 09:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwstanford

I am building a zygote using the road rage to flip voltage.  I tested the circuit without the road rage ( positive ground), and it worked perfectly, but once I connect it to the road rage, it doesn't work at all.  The led doesn't even come on.  There's got to be something I'm missing.  I've triple checked my wiring and my road rage components and have found no errors.  How do I check the road rage to see if it's flipping the voltage properly?

madbean

You will need to use a DMM to verify that your RR is outputting -9v.

dwstanford

It's not outputting -9v.  I checked two different max1044s and they both got the same readings.  Here are the pin readings.  1) 9.52. 2) 4.72 3) 0.00 4) 0.22 5) 9.51 6) 4.33 7) 4.94 8 ) 0.39

jkokura

I'm not certain, but I'm also experiencing similar problems with a pastyface. I'm beginning to suspect there is a need to include more parts than the zygote documentation says for the road rage.

Don't worry too much about the max chip, what's it read at the output spot for the wire? If it's not -9v there...

I'll look into mine tommorow. It probably means you need to use more caps and diodes.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

dwstanford

The output is reading positive 0.39 instead of -9.  I thought maybe I had the max chip in backwards, so I flipped it around and when i plugged it in, I started smelling something funny.  Turns out it was the ic burning.   :D. Don't try that.

dwstanford

Just looking at the circuit, it looks like you just need to add c4 to make it work.  I will try this.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: dwstanford on March 07, 2011, 09:03:01 AM
I thought maybe I had the max chip in backwards, so I flipped it around and when i plugged it in, I started smelling something funny.  Turns out it was the ic burning.   :D. Don't try that.

Definitely done that before!!  :-X
Now i pay very close attention and triple check placement.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

dwstanford

Quote from: dwstanford on March 07, 2011, 09:49:04 AM
Just looking at the circuit, it looks like you just need to add c4 to make it work.  I will try this.

Let me clarify that I'm going to try to add a 10u capacitor in the component space marked c4 on the board.  Just in case anyone was thinking I was suggesting to put C4 plastic explosives on your board.  I've already been labeled a terrorist, so I felt I needed to make that addendum.

dwstanford

I added the c4 capacitor (10u) and that fixed the road rage problem. I'm getting -9v!!!   8)

jkokura

Me too. Bean, you need to change the Zygote documentation...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

Yep, you guys are absolutely right. C4 needs to be in there.

Sorry guys, I will fix the Zygote docs. I'll also address the lack of application info in the RR document too!

dwstanford

No sweat.  That's part of the fun of DIY, finding things out for yourself.  ;D.  Thanks for your help.

BarryW

sorry to dredge up an old thread - I was reading on Zygote builds, and I noted that you needed C4 on the road rage board for it to work?  Is that correct?

Thanks to everybody for the info . . .

<edit> OOPS - I see it now.  The documentation was updated and everything.  I had the old version in my build folder!  Sorry for the interruption . . . I got it now

rhcp311

Yeah... I just spent an hour trouble shooting my Fuzz Face because I had an old version of the Zygote instructions that didn't say to include C4 on the Road Rage board. Let this be a lesson to all you kids out there. Download the newest instructions before starting. Haha.