News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nuevo Jefe Aquaboy Deluxe

Started by timbo_93631, January 03, 2014, 01:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbo_93631

This is a repost of my submission for the best of 2013 contest, but there aren't a ton of ABDLX build reports out there so here it is again:

"Nuevo Jefe"

Aquaboy Deluxe with mods

-Legit MN3005's from funkward-tech on ebay
-modulation Depth Pot changed to 500k
-R50 and R51 switched to 5k1
-Slam switch added to feedback pot
-JMK Panner effects loop on the output
-Wedge cut 1590BB Tall enclosure with top mount jacks
-Mini-Chickenheads from smallbear, love these knobs to death.
-1776effects Opto-tron bypass

I can easily say this is the best delay I have ever built, but by far the most difficult.  I tried the effects loop between the PCB mix pad 3 and mix pot lug 3 as I have done on some Multiplexes now, but for whatever reason this brought in an unacceptable amount of clock noise, and wasn't totally stable for me.  I ended up putting it on the delay output. You can adjust the wet mix of the loop and the dry delayed signal; therefore, the effect is very similar to having the loop before the mix pot, just that the first things you play before repeat are run through the Panner too.  Very subtle difference unless you have the mix and loop both full wet.  The changes to the bigger pot on the modulation depth and R50 and R51 make the modulation less wacky and extreme at maximum depth and give a better lower boundary on the minimum setting. 

Clip below shows it effects loop dry and with a Cardinal Tremolo/Rub-a-Dub 2-in-1 in wah shell in the effects loop.

Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

alanp

Pretty cool how you wedged all that in there! ;)

I think I'll have to build one, once they're restocked. With v3205d, since Juan reports 'em as being not bad in this.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

selfdestroyer

That Wedge cut 1590BB Tall just looks so awesome Tim. I love how you have all the top mounted jacks on there. Great build.

Cortexturizer

HAs to be one of the tightest builds I have ever seen while still looking well planned and everything accounted for. Great work dude, and I believe I already complimented the enclosure finish on some of your previous builds. Just stellar stuff, whoawzah.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

jkokura

Brilliant Tim. I really like the way you incorporated the Panner in there.

I have to get my ABDLX working. I have it sitting, waiting for the troubleshooting to begin, but...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

rullywowr

Awesome enclosure and super clean for fitting the kitchen sink in there. I gotta do an analog delay soon!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

snailspacejase

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

billstein

Not this one out of the park Tim.

jprizz

Whoa O.o That is five pounds of awesome in a four pound box! Kudos for getting all that in there and having it all work and sound great too on top of all that.
-Josh

m-Kresol

That is damn tight! Looks really awesome! Where did you get the enclosure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

timbo_93631

Thanks for all the nice words guys!  I'm loving this thing, but I might sell or repurpose one of the MN3005's (Aquaboy 2012, another ABDLX with MN3005 and 3008) and put a MN3008 in it's spot because I probably only need about 450ms of delay time max.

Quote from: m-Kresol on January 04, 2014, 08:51:58 AM
That is damn tight! Looks really awesome! Where did you get the enclosure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is from Mammoth, but you can get them other places, it is the 1590BB "Tall" enclosure that I cut into a sloped enclosure with a hacksaw and then I filed the edges level and square, and finish off by sanding the edges on a sheet of sandpaper attached to a tabletop (actually the side panel of a Hammond T-233 "parts organ" that is up on end and taking up space, so why not?!?) to make everything real flat on the cut.  It is pretty easy to do if you have a place where you can clamp the enclosure down while you cut.  By being extra careful to stay on your line when you cut you can save a lot of time filing in the end.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

pickdropper

This is a great build.  I really like the slant enclosure.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

evildead222

Damn! Awesome gutshot! Awesome demo! There is so much jammed in there and it's so neat this pedal is awesome!