News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Morning Dew EQ (or similar)

Started by Fastocker, March 06, 2011, 09:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastocker

I have one of these now-unavailable pedals and it's awesome!  A very powerful three band EQ with a switchable buffer . . . the middle control is especially outstanding and can take you from deeply scooped mids to a loud upper midrange 'honk'.  Anyone know of a schematic for this pedal?  I'm not really talented enough (yet) to trace the circuit but I can take as many pics as someone might need.  I'd love to be able to build one of these and wouldn't feel too bad since they're no longer being made.

Anyone?
Owner of Unique-Vibe, LLC
www.facebook.com/uniquevibe

jkokura

Is it similar to the Cleanness?

I wonder if it's similar to the baxandall eq. I might have to look into this because I had someone ask after an eq.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Jordo

I am keen for para eq!

I found this:  http://rapidriotboxes.blogspot.com/2009/02/parametric-eq.html

I wouldnt know where to start...i haven't formed any boards and cant seem to find anyone making the pcb for a para eq...

Fastocker

I'm not sure if it's similar to The Cleanness as I've never tried one of those, but after looking at the Dr. Scientist website the description sounds similar.  The Morning Dew doesn't feel like a parametric EQ but more like a three band tone stack . . . possibly based on the Baxandall?  I don't know.  I noticed The Cleanness has level and gain controls while the MDEQ has only the three tone controls and stays at unity volume.

I'd be interested in building something along these lines --- I love putting the MDEQ after an OD pedal to change the sound.  I've built a ROG Tonemender from a Vero layout I found online and liked it but found it to be kind of noisy whereas the MDEQ is dead quiet.  Plus I just really love the sweep of the middle control on the MDEQ . . . goes from scooped BF Fender (below 12:00 on the dial) to honkin' Vox or Marshall (above 12:00) with the turn of a knob.  You can also use it to dial in (or out) high end sparkle or low end thump easily.

Here's some info on the pedal:

http://www.antelopefx.com/morning-dew/

http://www.antelopefx.com/manuals/Antelope_Morning_Dew.pdf

irmcdermott

Take a bunch of good quality pictures and throw it on FSB (serach first and make sure there isn't an existing thread on it, if there is, add the pics to that one). I'm sure if you give some good pictures they will jump all over it.

Or post some pics here, maybe someone will be able to RE it.

bigmufffuzzwizz

We gotta make one with sliders!!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jkokura

Nah, sliders is no fun when it comes to the enclosure. It's nowhere near as simple as drilling. Pots work better.

Just ask BYOC who discontinued their slider EQ...

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

bigmufffuzzwizz

ya that byoc 10 slider eq is the pedal i had in mind. it makes sense that it would be a total PITA. they discontinued it right before i was gonna buy one.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

reddo

I've been interested in these for a while. Are the guts gooped? If not a quick photo or two would be appreciated.

Tom

jkokura

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on March 07, 2011, 12:46:36 PM
ya that byoc 10 slider eq is the pedal i had in mind. it makes sense that it would be a total PITA. they discontinued it right before i was gonna buy one.

I had one. It was noisy.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Fastocker

No, not gooped.  Here's a photo of the MDEQ I found on the Beavis site --- I'll try to take mine off of my board and get some detailed pics in the next few days.  Looks like I'll have to remove the pots and jacks to get shots of the solder side of the board.

I wouldn't really want sliders with this one --- I kind of set the bass and treble and forget 'em and just really use the middle control.

Edit --- another photo from the Antelope website:

jkokura

Probably traceable, but it's super nice to look at! Don't wreck it.

As for the board, If it's double sided it should be traceable if we can see each side. I'm not really experienced at that, but the FSB crew definitely is. However if it's a layer board, that idea goes out the window.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

aziltz

I'm putting together a similar design.  It's based on the active Bax type circuits and will feature Bass and Treble Shelf EQs like the Xotic pedals, plus Mid and Presence bands and a high Cut control.  It will be unity gain like the Antelope.

I'm documenting the development over at circuitworkshop.com but I will most likely offer boards once I finalize the design.  I'm going for 5 knobs in a 1590NS with 9mm board mount pots.

Here's the development thread,  http://circuitworkshop.com/forum/index.php?topic=821.0

madbean

hoyager

I'd be keen on this, sounds really nice. So this is a Baxandall tonecontrol?