News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Serenity Now

Started by pickdropper, January 05, 2014, 03:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

I built up Rej's Feng Drive a while back and liked it, but it isn't exactly a Zen Drive, so I decided to do a board layout and try a more exact recreation.

I reused the artwork from before because I liked it.  I really like the Candy Teal color from PPP so I used it for this build as it is sort of a serene color.  It's a mess outside, so I took inside pictures for this one.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

sirbergersworth

Very nice work. Love it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand, says, "Don't you see?"
-Robert Hunter

jubal81

One of my favorite 1590a builds ever.

Damn, Dave, you make it look so reasonable and tidy.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

ncdb07

Very nice! I found to get it to sound exact the Fairchild 2n7000's were necessary and the opamp is a Ne5532p.

I took my buddies original Zendrive apart and thats what was in his. I used Madbean's layout etched by Haberdasher. It was spot on.

ncdb07
Daniel
ncdb07
Daniel

wolfingsworth

Quote from: jubal81 on January 05, 2014, 03:49:26 PM
One of my favorite 1590a builds ever.

Damn, Dave, you make it look so reasonable and tidy.
It's true. Dave makes it look easy! I love the color also Dave, and the koi design couldn't be classier!

pickdropper

Quote from: ncdb07 on January 05, 2014, 04:11:21 PM
Very nice! I found to get it to sound exact the Fairchild 2n7000's were necessary and the opamp is a Ne5532p.

I took my buddies original Zendrive apart and thats what was in his. I used Madbean's layout etched by Haberdasher. It was spot on.

ncdb07
Daniel

Yeah, I used Fairchild 2n7000s.  I thought that the original Zen Drive used an AD712 OpAmp (which I didn't have) not the NE5532.
Function f(x)

ncdb07

Yeah, I used Fairchild 2n7000s.  I thought that the original Zen Drive used an AD712 OpAmp (which I didn't have) not the NE5532.
[/quote]

I thought the same thing and it may be true on earlier versions but I know my buddies came direct from the manufacturer and when I opened it up it was plain as day Ne5532p. We a/b'ed them and they were spot on.

ncdb07
Daniel
ncdb07
Daniel

pickdropper

Very interesting.  I'll have to give that one a try.

Maybe they got tired of buying those expensive Analog Devices ICs.
Function f(x)

Guitarmageddon

I'm not doubting that there are other ICs in them, but I can confirm that of the three I've seen, two had an AD712, the third and oldest had the chip sanded.

Beautiful build, but might be time to change the pond water.  ;)
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

pickdropper

Quote from: Guitarmageddon on January 06, 2014, 02:43:52 PM

Over here, every St. Patrick's Day they dye the Chicago River green.  I've always wondered why they can't dye it blue the rest of the year.
Function f(x)

ncdb07

Quote from: Guitarmageddon on January 06, 2014, 02:43:52 PM
I'm not doubting that there are other ICs in them, but I can confirm that of the three I've seen, two had an AD712, the third and oldest had the chip sanded.

And this is why I don't post on forums very often, I offered a little information trying to be helpful, share my experiences, and people like to make snide comments.  I guess because I don't have a million posts I couldn't possibly know what I am talking about.

I know what chip is in the one I copied. I never said that is what is in all of them . The guy asked me to clone his pedal exactly, So I did. I copied exactly what he had. His pedal was dated inside 1-23-12-06B. Maybe that was the only chip he had that day.
ncdb07
Daniel

ncdb07

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/url]
ncdb07
Daniel

pickdropper

Daniel, I don't think Ben was being snide or doubting your experience, simply confirming the results of his experience opening up 3 of them.

I was surprised at your post because it was the first time I had heard of a 5532 being used, but I wasn't deriding you for posting it.

More information is always better as it gives us a clearer picture of what the history is.  For all we know, there were 10 different opamps used and we've only seen these.
Function f(x)

billstein

Love it Dave. That artwork is perfect for the build.

Guitarmageddon

Quote from: pickdropper on January 06, 2014, 03:55:04 PM
Daniel, I don't think Ben was being snide or doubting your experience, simply confirming the results of his experience opening up 3 of them.
Exactly,  I've reread my post several times now, and still can't find the snide part. ???
I imagine a 5532 would sound nice, the position is socketed, so there's no reason not to try out any dual opamp.
For all I know this may be a 5532 also:
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com