News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A thankyou to Hexjibber

Started by fendman, January 08, 2014, 07:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fendman

Seeing some of the etches that Graham has done in the past few months and reading the simple to follow instructions he provides, I thought I would have a go....I have tried etching enclosures in the past. But, never got the results that I was anywhere near happy with.

Well I used the base from my Zero Point delay machine as it has been removed for the last six months...basically for trimming/ tweaking/ changing components in the skts etc.

Went through the tutorial ending with spraying the etch with matt black paint and the following day rubbing it down, and this morning spraying it with a few coats of laquer.

Well,  for a first attempt I was more than happy with the results, its not that difficult and I would recommend anyone to try Grahams' technique.
Thanks
Mike

Hexjibber
http://diy-guitar-effects.tumblr.com/etching

spaceboss

DutchMF

That looks f*&%$n amazing, so cool!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

selfdestroyer

just wow... wow. Crazy clean etch.

rullywowr

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

billstein

Thank you for providing that link on how to etch. Does anybody know if caustic soda and lye the same thing?

fendman

Thanks guys for the kind comments.

Quote from: billstein on January 08, 2014, 11:21:56 PM
Thank you for providing that link on how to etch. Does anybody know if caustic soda and lye the same thing?
noun: lye
a strongly alkaline solution, esp. of potassium hydroxide, used for washing or cleansing.

blackedition

This looks excellent!  One of my major hangups with trying etching is that I was worried about the safe disposal of the reacted solution.  It seems like the use of NaOH allows for safe disposal through the drain.  However, I'm super paranoid so...  Can anyone confirm that it is safe to dispose of the used NaOH etchant into the drain?  Thanks! 

Also, I noticed that the link in the tutorial for the glossy photo paper used in the process is no longer carried by Amazon.  Did you find a suitable substitute paper? 

Great job!

fendman

Quote from: blackedition on January 09, 2014, 12:10:52 PM
This looks excellent!  One of my major hangups with trying etching is that I was worried about the safe disposal of the reacted solution.  It seems like the use of NaOH allows for safe disposal through the drain.  However, I'm super paranoid so...  Can anyone confirm that it is safe to dispose of the used NaOH etchant into the drain?  Thanks! 

Also, I noticed that the link in the tutorial for the glossy photo paper used in the process is no longer carried by Amazon.  Did you find a suitable substitute paper? 

Great job!
Hi, Like all chemical products if used sensibly and you adhere to the instructions...Sodium Hydroxide can be used in diluted form to clean drains...so its no problem. The only addition to that would be if you had a septic tank... that is you are not connected to mains sewage/sewrage...it might be advisable to ask the relevent authority.
I use the backing paper you get on labels, it does vary and can be a bit hit and miss.

blackedition

Quote from: fendman on January 09, 2014, 08:32:59 PM
Quote from: blackedition on January 09, 2014, 12:10:52 PM

Great job!
Hi, Like all chemical products if used sensibly and you adhere to the instructions...Sodium Hydroxide can be used in diluted form to clean drains...so its no problem. The only addition to that would be if you had a septic tank... that is you are not connected to mains sewage/sewrage...it might be advisable to ask the relevent authority.
I use the backing paper you get on labels, it does vary and can be a bit hit and miss.

could you possibly provide a link to the label paper?  i'm sure i'll have to try a few things out for myself to see what gives me the best results, but the link will help provide a good starting point!  thanks!

rullywowr

It's the "backing" you normally throw away when you peel off a self adhesive sticker.  This can work, but sometimes the toner doesn't stick very well to it and it flakes off.  The blue toner transfer paper is really great but expensive. I just picked il some yellow toner transfer paper from eBay and it works great.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!