News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NRIFD

Started by midwayfair, January 09, 2014, 06:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

New recording interface day!

My Scarlett 18i8 arrived yesterday and I set it up tonight. A pair of Audio Technica mics (2020 and 2021) also arrived, but I decided to try recording direct to one of GrarageBand's amp emulators ("sparkling clean" with a tiny bit of delay and reverb) to test out the preamps, and it sounds pretty good ... in fact I'm not totally sure I could mic my amp well enough to make it sound too much better.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/jon-patton-3/bbotb-interface-test-scarlett[/soundcloud]

Recorded something with overdubs ... all the guitars here are the Don Q caster, including the bass.
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/jon-patton-3/strattin-around[/soundcloud]

selfdestroyer

Glad you found something that works for your needs. The clips sound great. I love my Focusrite Saffire 24.

jubal81

Sounds pretty good. The playing is fantastic, too.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

raulduke

Jon; I seriously recommend you try Native Instruments Guitar Rig.

The stuff you can do with it is insane (crazy routing etc.).

The only things that don't sound so good (IMO) are the analogue pedal emulations (boost, OD, Fuzz, Chorus, Phaser etc.)... but I think you might be covered in that regard  ;)

I can upload some clips if interested...

midwayfair

Quote from: raulduke on January 10, 2014, 01:46:25 AM

Please do!

I'm going to be switching to Ableton (and then Logic when I can afford it), I just went to GarageBand last night because I haven't finished reading the instruction manual and wanted to test things. I'll need plugins for other DAWs.

raulduke

Quote from: midwayfair on January 10, 2014, 05:02:04 AM
Please do!

I'm going to be switching to Ableton (and then Logic when I can afford it), I just went to GarageBand last night because I haven't finished reading the instruction manual and wanted to test things. I'll need plugins for other DAWs.
Warning: Geek out time... I love this stuff  ;D

It looks expensive, but if you buy Native Instruments Komplete package, you will get enough plugins and synths to explore for a lifetime. It actually works out as a bargain when you look at what you get.

Reaktor in particular is AMAZING. I think you would love it. You can pretty much build whatever synth or effect you can think of.

I love Ableton too. Been using it since V3 and it is the dogs proverbial's. If you have any questions or need any help when getting started just let me know!

I honestly think you will not need Logic if you get into what Ableton can do (ie. everything you could think of  ;D)

I'll upload a clip for a new song I've done later (to play with my Stoner Rock loving Jam Band... we are too lazy to play fast music  ;)).

All guitars were done using Guitar Rig (using a few pedals), and all drums are Native Instruments Abbey Road Drums.

sirbergersworth

I use guitar rig a bit as we'll. best amp soft sim in my opinion. The recorders/loopers are excellent, useful and fun.
I agree the amps sound good but the effects etc are just ok.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand, says, "Don't you see?"
-Robert Hunter

selfdestroyer

I was a huge fan of Guitar Rig until I upgraded to Logic Pro X and their built in amp simulator is excellent.

Here is info on the amp emulation
http://logicstudiotraining.com/wiki/index.php/Amp_Designer

You can adjust mic placement and change the amp and cab just like in Guitar Rig. Just  a thought if you were thinking of going the Logic route.

jkokura

Nice. Focusrite make good stuff. I was looking at their interfaces, but realized I didn't need all the extra features. Besides, I really like using Studio One, so working with Presonus is awesome for that. If you use Reaper, or Audacity, or something like that, Presonus isn't quite as exciting anymore.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

rullywowr

Sexy!  I had a Focusrite sapphire for about a week but ended up returning it because the software wouldn't go into any mode higher than 44.1k. The do make great sounding stuff and I'm sure they worked out the bugs by now across the model line.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

midwayfair

Quote from: rullywowr on January 10, 2014, 09:56:37 AM
Sexy!  I had a Focusrite sapphire for about a week but ended up returning it because the software wouldn't go into any mode higher than 44.1k. The do make great sounding stuff and I'm sure they worked out the bugs by now across the model line.

The Scarletts go up to 96K, but I haven't tried recording anything above 44.1K yet.

Did a bit more recording for practice tonight. Still learning Ableton Live, so this one's in GarageBand again, using their amp sims. Still direct ... not really much space here for my pedalboard, though this one could have used some volume pedal work, and I would have preferred to use the El Cap for the delay, but still, I'm pretty happy for it as a practice setup. You catch so many more mistakes and can really try a lot of licks. It's also helping me understand arranging better. I just forgot how darn useful recording yourself is for a practice.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/jon-patton-3/hard-times[/soundcloud]

whitebread47

Nice!  I have the 2i2 and it was an excellent replacement for the Saffire 16 I had before (new computer wasn't compatible with it due to USB routing or something).  I love Focusrite stuff.

Quote from: raulduke on January 10, 2014, 01:46:25 AM
Jon; I seriously recommend you try Native Instruments Guitar Rig.

The stuff you can do with it is insane (crazy routing etc.).

The only things that don't sound so good (IMO) are the analogue pedal emulations (boost, OD, Fuzz, Chorus, Phaser etc.)... but I think you might be covered in that regard  ;)

Agreed!  For pedal sims, I think Amplitube sounds better.  I use both regularly.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

GrindCustoms

Nice grab! Focusrite stuff is solid, only thing i disliked from the Saffire24 i had was the standalone features that where not working.. :o
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jtn191

I liked Amplitube a bit more than guitar rig, but now I'm back to using real amps!

midwayfair

Picked up LogicPro today ...

Holy crap, what a difference. I didn't finish a recording in it yet, but it's amazing how much better it sounds.

I think I'll stick with the Logic amp plugins for now, but thanks everyone for the plugin software suggestions ... if I start getting more useful stuff out of this, I might upgrade to some nicer plugins.