News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Shameless plug of my hometown.....

Started by DutchMF, January 12, 2014, 08:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchMF

Went out for drinks last night with some friends, and while sitting outside having a smoke, I took this picture:

That's the Dom Tower, tallest building in Utrecht. It used to be part of the Dom Church until a storm ripped out the middle part, so now we have a church and a tower!

I decided to post this after my wife saw this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/21/travel/21next.html
Apparently, the NYT likes Utrecht!! Here's a nice slideshow from the NYT article:
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/02/21/travel/20100221UTRECHT_index.html
And the Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utrecht

Seriously, if you ever happen to be in Holland and want to visit something different from Amsterdam, a bit more laid back, less touristy, you should come over, it will be a pleasant surprise!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

RobA

It looks lovely there. The shot of the canal is really beautiful. I take it that the church in the slide is the one that used to be attached to the tower. It looks like it would be a great space to play in.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

atreidesheir

I love smaller cities around the world.  They are incredible for sights and sounds and great people. 
I always wanted to visit Holland, but am not attracted to Amsterdam.  Utrecht looks like a great city to visit for a week and simply enjoy.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

micromegas

I've been to Holland this summer for the first time in my life, visited Amsterdam and Haarlem (Amsterdam is beautiful but didn't like tourist's attitude. I think it will be much better if it wasn't so famous).
Beautiful country. (I always wanted to study jazz guitar @Conservatorium van Amsterdam, but I have to finish my EE studies before....).

If I manage to save some money I'll return this summer to go to the Rotterdam Jazz Fest, maybe it is time for me to visit utrech
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

billstein

Love it that you're proud of the city you live in. Looking through those pictures really makes me miss Europe.

das234

Looks like a beautiful place to visit someday.
BUT, for hometown pride, dig this.  I'm living in the home of THE AMC Pacer! 

Ok.  You win.

hoodoo

It does look like a beautiful place, went to Amsterdam many years ago, can't remember much of that trip  ;) OT, but Das234 isn't that Wayne and Garths car, party on :)

Gledison

OHHHH! that brings so nice memories of Utrecht!
definitly more beautifull than Amsterdam. Love the way you can have dinner in some restaurants on the level of the chanals!
I lived there for 2 weeks before moving to Amsterdam.
Tivoli, Winkel van Sinkel, ahhh, nice Hertog Jan and Grolsch!!!
You Dutch are Happy people!!!
Tot Ziens!
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?