News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Organizing the work bench

Started by irmcdermott, May 21, 2010, 09:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irmcdermott

So, when I first started this addiction I felt like I had a really good handle on keeping all my parts labeled and organized. Now my work area looks like that of a deranged, mad scientist. Crap is everywhere, and the amount of components only continues to grow. So I ask, how do you guys (if at all) organize/store the ridiculous amounts of components that go with this hobby?

carbonfreeze

I use a few of these. resistors on top, caps in middle, diodes, ICs, and transistors in bottom (in anti-static pouches). And I have a larger single tub version for my tools. I outgrew this system a couple of months ago, and I'm looking into getting a larger drawer system with smaller compartments so I can separate values.

Maybe I'll get something like this in the future

I'd also love to see some photos of work areas. Especially if your an in between builder like me (not a pro that has a large inventory of parts, but building fairly regularly and usually have parts on hand that need managing)

madbean

My available space is pretty small so it's fairly well organized. My new shop will be the equivalent of a 1 bedroom apt! I can't wait to junk it up.

[attachment deleted by admin]

irmcdermott

Quote from: madbean on May 25, 2010, 08:25:06 AM
My available space is pretty small so it's fairly well organized. My new shop will be the equivalent of a 1 bedroom apt! I can't wait to junk it up.

lucky.... :)

my space right now is made up of a tiny table in the corner of the living room of our 1 bedroom apartment, right next to the door to our back deck, which is where all of the etching, painting, and baking goes on so I don't kill my wife with the smell of spray paint and FeCl :)

since i'm literally in the living room, I have to make sure my stuff is mobile so I can tear it down when we have company over. so just this week i started putting all my stuff in ziplock bags, then putting them into hanging folders that are in a little box with a handle. all my paint is in a storage bin, and all my small tools are in a little desktop organizer, and my bigger tools have another bin they go in. it can be moved as soon as my wife requests it. it's working so far. can't wait to have a house......

PeterMorton

I was thinking that I needed a spreadsheet to keep track of what I have on hand. Does anyone do anything like that? I would list resistors by value with equivalent values alongside (uf, nf, pf) because I get confused by the multipliers. Same for caps, sometimes. I bought a bunch of grab bags from Futurelec and I need to organize. They list things by pf & uf and Bean's instructions list by nf sometimes. That's the hardest part about these projects for me. I want to order parts for various builds at once to save on shipping and I just don't have a good handle on my inventory! :'(

maysink

Here's a link to a BYOC forum sticky about capacitors re: pf, nf, uf, wtf!
http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16135

Besides the pics in the thread, there are several links w/ good info.

(I assume it's okay to link to BYOC?)
[nothing to see here]
-e

jimmybjj

Quote from: irmcdermott on May 21, 2010, 09:22:05 AM
So, when I first started this addiction I felt like I had a really good handle on keeping all my parts labeled and organized. Now my work area looks like that of a deranged, mad scientist. Crap is everywhere, and the amount of components only continues to grow. So I ask, how do you guys (if at all) organize/store the ridiculous amounts of components that go with this hobby?

I just started building pedals and amps THIS YEAR, with NO knowledge of electronics. I have learned alot but really still just a beginner, abeit an obsessive beginner  ;D

Pcbs no longer available

gtr2

looks like your ready for surgery!  Nice eurotubes sticker
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

That's an impressive investment for not having done this very long. jeez, I don't even have a scope, yet!

Actually, I do have one of these on the way, though, for light duty stuff: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/micro-digital-storage-oscilloscopedso-nano-p-512.html

jimmybjj

Quote from: madbean on July 12, 2010, 08:39:19 AM
That's an impressive investment for not having done this very long. jeez, I don't even have a scope, yet!

Actually, I do have one of these on the way, though, for light duty stuff: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/micro-digital-storage-oscilloscopedso-nano-p-512.html
yeah, I have a pretty obsessive personality to a fault! But the good thing is (at least to my wife , it makes me a little sad :-) i can't think of anymore toys (aka "tools" when the wife asks) do you guys see anything i need  ;D I don't really know how to use the scope ;D but I am trying to learn. I mainly use it as a visual audio probe (if that make sense :-) it does help a lot in trying to understand what the different stages of the circuit is doing.
Pcbs no longer available

jkokura

For those that need something portable, might I recommend a Fishing tackle box?!

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/TackleBoxesFishingLine/PRD~0785911P/Plano%252B777%252BGuide%252BSeries%252BBox.jsp?locale=en

I've been in transition lately, now living in a place where I can't set up a permanent workstation, and I need to be able to pack up and move somewhere else easily. If you use your kitchen table and want to keep organized like these other guys - this tackle box or one like it might be a great idea for you! Works for me.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

Plus, you can keep your bait in there!

eniacmike

I have a whole room basically for guitars and building pedals. I have two desks one with the computer and the other for soldering. I have this window bench underneath the window with all my parts in it.
resistors, capacitors in this big organizer, then the smaller organizer is pots, switches, jacks, adapters, 9v snaps. I actually added a second one since then so I have more pot selection and I sorted all my toggle switches. I have 4 different little organizer boxes: diodes, transistors, ic's, and electrolytic capacitors, plus 2 really small organizers from small bear with xicon electrolytics, and topmay box caps.

The other side of the room is guitars and amps and pedals.

I also have a small drilling set up in my kitchen just a small ikea side table that I clamp enclosures too. I also have my paint baking toaster oven in there.

I do most of my dremel work in the kitchen sink.

I paint outside on my back porch.

nzCdog

Wow cool thread... had to dredge it sorry ;)
So jealous of the cool workspaces some of you have!