News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kloner diodes

Started by atreidesheir, January 26, 2014, 03:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atreidesheir

I thought it might be cool for everyone to mention their favorite Klone diodes and why.
Seems relevant at the moment for some reason. :)

I have the Chimaera with Bat41 (per the Sunking pdf).  Sound good.  I would like a switch to try BAT46.  I am also wondering if the diodes make much difference.   
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

alanp

Massively lazy. I almost never swap out diodes.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Stig

Well I have a kingslayer. And Im still changing the diodes. Just for fun. Guess you all know the feeling:-)

But i had bat41's in there for some time. Now I changed them out for assymetric 1n4148, the plain old/boring old ones. But i think thet are the best yet in there in combination with assymetric 1n34a. Pretty standard it turns out.

In my geranium clipping I had OA126, which sounded really good. But also a little fuzzy. So I swapped these with OA1160. I like those much better.

But as I mentioned, I will probably swap them some more around... Until the Sunking II arrives, then it starts all over again:-) But hey, its great fun.

juansolo

In a Kingslayer, LEDs. In a Klone 1N34As from Tayda.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

chromesphere

The Klon has been reversed engineered and degoop, did the degooper find out what was the official, unicorn endorsed, diode?
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Stig

Quote from: chromesphere on January 27, 2014, 07:41:34 AM
The Klon has been reversed engineered and degoop, did the degooper find out what was the official, unicorn endorsed, diode?
From what I know, the closest equivalent in fv are those in the 1n34a's. I really dont think unicorns had anything to do with it. Just good marketing.

chromesphere

I knew it!  I knew those 1n34a's were special! I'm going start stock piling 1n34a's and chinese 1n914's now. :D

Stig

:-) Good Luck. You'll need a big house then.
But they do sound good together though.

alanp

Personally, I'm happy with "close enough for rock n roll".

One, any difference will get lost in the mix.

Two, sounding EXACTLY like the original is boring.

Three... here's a concept, "point of diminishing returns". There are some things that are night and day differences (like v3205d and mn3005), and there are some that are not worth chasing down (like original mustard caps for Marshall amp builds -- far more worth it to use Sozo, or just buy Mallory 150's. You're going to get more difference changing the value.)

That said, if you're having fun in the chase itself, go nuts!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

chromesphere

Its alarming how guitarists will throw so much cash down just to have something that's rare.  Sometimes I think the rarity is the trait that's worth money.  But we've all heard this tune many times before.  I was curious about the klon diode because, well, if it turned out to be a 1n34a or even 1n270 I would have laughed.

Stig

Quote from: alanp on January 30, 2014, 07:23:48 AM
Personally, I'm happy with "close enough for rock n roll".

One, any difference will get lost in the mix.

Two, sounding EXACTLY like the original is boring.

Three... here's a concept, "point of diminishing returns". There are some things that are night and day differences (like v3205d and mn3005), and there are some that are not worth chasing down (like original mustard caps for Marshall amp builds -- far more worth it to use Sozo, or just buy Mallory 150's. You're going to get more difference changing the value.)

That said, if you're having fun in the chase itself, go nuts!
Yeah if you are playing in a loud rock band, like myself, the diodes will get lost in other guitars and drums. But when Im at home building these pedals and recording music I like to try things out. There can be really subtle differences.

jkokura

Quote from: chromesphere on January 30, 2014, 07:37:56 AM
Sometimes I think the rarity is the trait that's worth money.

Diamonds actually aren't all that rare, but the industry makes people 'believe' so, which drives the price up.

Just saying that it's not just Guitar gear. Limited edition stuff (1 of 2000, etc) always sells at a higher price.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals